Finding great studio space by the hour

fotothusiast

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I have a client who would like to do a formal studio shoot and I don't have a studio. Besides the obvious of using google, I'm wondering:

- How do I find the ideal short-term studio space and what should my top considerations?
- Are there are any local or national directories of available studio space?
- Have any of you tried requesting non-studio space for a shoot with your equipment? Is it worth the effort?

Thanks!

You didn't say what you want to shoot in the studio... so...

Studio space can be rather barren, so unless you are doing "background paper" sets, it can be quite a challenge getting a set put together. If the client has an art director / set design / props then just rent white room space (per other responses).

Alternatives I've used in the past:

Hotel rooms (if you are creative, you can keep it from looking like a hotel room. I've stacked most of the furniture in the hall, on the balcony!, in one corner, etc, and added just one or two props (a sculpture, a chair, etc).

Bed and breakfasts. Seriously. These are small businesses run by individuals. Where the chain hotel manager only sees risk, the b&b owner is usually tickled to death have you exploring the grounds, setting up interesting lighting and shots, etc. Plus the whole b&b thing is on being quaint, quirky, or unique in some way, so you often get really good decor to work with. You can scout locations in advance (w/ a snappy cam).

There are people who specifically rent their place out for projects. These cost more, but they tend to be really expensive places and you get that ambiance w/o having to design the set yourself.

I think there might be a market for a rental studio, especially if it included some strobes, backdrops, changing room, etc.

IIRC, there was a garage outfit like that. You rent the space, work on your car, and you don't have to own everything.

I think there might be a market for a rental studio, especially if it included some strobes, backdrops, changing room, etc.

IIRC, there was a garage outfit like that. You rent the space, work on your car, and you don't have to own everything.

These work too - there's one in town that's a studio share, $125/month between up to six photographers, backdrops, props, etc included. I'd like that even better, but it's too far away for me.

These work too - there's one in town that's a studio share, $125/month between up to six photographers, backdrops, props, etc included. I'd like that even better, but it's too far away for me.

Speaking of photography studios; one local pro has built himself a HUGE metal building that is large enough to include an office/sales area, four (or perhaps more) photography areas, restrooms, and an outdoor space with props.

Welcome aboard.

Another option would be to join a local (maybe local branch) photographer's association. Once you are 'in the group', it might be easier to ask around about borrowing/renting studio space.

Speaking of photography studios; one local pro has built himself a HUGE metal building that is large enough to include an office/sales area, four (or perhaps more) photography areas, restrooms, and an outdoor space with props.

They are popping up here and there. we just had an open house last night for a new rental studio in indianapolis, 4 diffrent sets, props, makeup/changing room/office/ lights and backdrops and just about everything you need except for the camera and photo subjet, pretty nice if you have the money to rent them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back