Finding Vivian Maier

Flip-up LCD screens allow the same disappearing act, though I rarely see them used that way on the street. The little Ricoh GR II and III have an adjustable "snap focus" feature enabled by a full shutter press. Great for street shooting.
Yes and like the waist level finder, make it easy to get the camera right down on the ground without rolling in the dirt. But, that lens sticking out in front is recognized by everyone along with a finger on the shutter on top of the camera. The shutter on my tlr is in the lower r corner of the "box" and folks don't know it's there. Then only sound is the shutter with no mirror so quiet I can't tell if it fired.

Yes and like the waist level finder, make it easy to get the camera right down on the ground without rolling in the dirt. But, that lens sticking out in front is recognized by everyone along with a finger on the shutter on top of the camera. The shutter on my tlr is in the lower r corner of the "box" and folks don't know it's there. Then only sound is the shutter with no mirror so quiet I can't tell if it fired.
The Fuji MILCs like the X-T1-4 series are very small along with their "Fujicron" f/2 primes. I find them to be very inconspicuous with both hands wrapped around them. No noise from their electronic shutters, either. When we're out on photo walks in Toronto, my friends' old Rolleis attract steady attention from pesky "Is that an old film camera?" gawkers.

The Fuji MILCs like the X-T1-4 series are very small along with their "Fujicron" f/2 primes. I find them to be very inconspicuous with both hands wrapped around them. No noise from their electronic shutters, either. When we're out on photo walks in Toronto, my friends' old Rolleis attract steady attention from pesky "Is that an old film camera?" gawkers.
My nikno fm2ns and pentax me are as small. Yes, the Yashica never fails to get at least 3 or folks asking about it. Great conversation starter and for someone who is always marketing, nothing like having a potential client approach me allowiing me to segway seamlessly into my elevator speech. the light weight of the yashica medium format camera is the most important attribute, not sneaking photos. My Mamiya RB67 is huge, weighs an ton and isn't lives in the backpack til I am ready to shoot. But the 6x6 Yashica delivers that huge negative with portability, light weight and since most of my street is with a 50 mm, is gives me a similar, although square look which is especially wonderful for some shots. Of course my d850 allows me to cycle between 1:1, 3:2, 4:5 both in the view finder and in what is saved plus the flip lcd.

Well she didn't print anything, at least publicly. In any case, her work is published and the public has gotten to enjoy it. It's too bad it wasn't published while she was alive. I think she would have been proud of herself.
Do you ever wonder if she had made her photos public (not so easy to do back then) whether she would have the reputation she has now?

Not only is a tlr like the rollei or yashica I use not as noticable shot from the waist, because there is no mirror slap, it is nearly silent. Folks expect a camera to be shot in the direction you are facing from eye level. Even looking down or not looking into the waist level view finder or directly at the subject allows totall y candid shots to be taken. Not what I do always, but the possibility is there. Also with no hunking lens sticking out telling it is aimed in that direction, folks don't have a clue about the lenses on this camera. It is also feather light and able to be carried all day effortlessly. For street, you get to shoot quickly "from the hip" and using zone focus don't have to even focus.
I've noticed that waist-level shots seem more intimate.

Do you ever wonder if she had made her photos public (not so easy to do back then) whether she would have the reputation she has now?
I do think the legend of her, has probably helped her work more than the mentally ill reality of her would have. Also I think that the historian, Maloof, deserves more credit than he gets for his skillful curating and marketing of her works. Well, he might not get much credit, but he does get the money, I'm sure that's a substantial comfort to him.

Last edited:
Interesting but difficult to answer. I've always wondered what led her to shoot the way she did, what she saw and how that influenced her. I see Robert Frank in some of her 50s-60s shots but it's sometimes hard to date them. "The Americans" influence spread slowly after its first printing in France in 1958. Nothing especially deep or telling is known about Maier's inner world apart from what she allowed.

Agree there wasn't much of an appetite for street photography when she was most active. Getting noticed as a woman photographer wasn't easy. In 1957, Eve Arnold was the first woman to join Magnum. Maier was marginalized by then current tastes and, face it, sexism. Doubtful many--if any--galleries would have taken her in. Suspect she might then have become a forgettable curiosity--sadly.

I have Prime video and it's free for me right now, maybe just because I'm in Canada?
Strategy I was looking through Amazon Prime this afternoon, there seems to be two versions of this documentary listed, both look the same to me, but one you have to pay for, while the other one is free to Prime members, very strange....

I dont remember exactly when I watched it, but man that was a good show.

Interesting lady for sure.

I do think the legend of her, has probably helped her work more than the mentally ill reality of her would have. Also I think that the historian, Maloof, deserves more credit than he gets for his skillful curating and marketing of her works. Well, he might not get much credit, but he does get the money, I'm sure that's a substantial comfort to him.
Mentally ill seems a bit harsh. I wouldn't characterize her like that.

Most reactions

Back