Firefox 3

Isn't Opera what comes standard with Macs? If not, what does?

I want a mac... :( I miss my old one. She was so pretty and incompatible :)

Aside from the improvements to the address bar (coined Awesome bar by some testers) I am not sure I see much difference. Then again, I have been running 3.0 for a while and maybe I have just forgotten some of the improvements.

One thing IE7 does that I wish FF did was have a new tab button prominently displayed in the tab bar. Does FF have one and I am just missing it?

One thing IE7 does that I wish FF did was have a new tab button prominently displayed in the tab bar. Does FF have one and I am just missing it?

There's an tabs add-on that includes such button (I think it's Tab Mix Plus, still not compatible with the new Firefox).

I'm a bit frustrated with Firefox 3 at the moment, as it doesn't seem to be as stable as its predecessor. I tried to revert back to Firefox 2, but it wouldn't allow me without a full install (which would mean starting the customization from scratch). Oh well, I'll have to wait until they start fixing the (minor) bugs and releasing the (sorely missed) updates to the add-ons and themes.

You don't need the add-on for the new tab button.

newtabbutton.jpg

Just edit which buttons are on your toolbar, you can add it there. It's not in the tab bar, but it's pretty close.

**cough** Opera has a new tab button prominantly positioned in the tab bar **cough**
(And uses less memory, and scores higher on the Acid test than ff)

I like the new tab button next to the address bar. It's closer to where I will have to type the address after I click it anyway. It's also closer to my bookmarks.

Plus, if there is only one page open there is no tab bar.

-edit-
BTW, I just downloaded the latest version of Opera. I had an older version (can't remember which) on my old computer, but I didn't like it very much. This version (9.5) seems better. Might try it out for a while...

**cough** Opera has a new tab button prominantly positioned in the tab bar **cough**

Yeah, but it DOESN'T have the cool logo!!! Gosh, don't you know ANYTHING about computers! :)

Opera seems to stop working a lot more than Firefox...

I haven't really seen any differences in performance with the previous version so far.

Very minor improvements are in the javascript engine, but the biggest performance increases are in the memory leaks. I'm a heavy tab user and have had upwards of 50 tabs open at once. Many of the memory leaks that resulted in tabs not being properly unloaded have been resolved. The reduction in memory and performance increase in this case is very notable, but if you don't ever open more than a couple of tabs at a time the only thing you're likely to see is it crash less than it used to.

So by that standard Safari is the best browser. Why not use that :p

Very minor improvements are in the javascript engine, but the biggest performance increases are in the memory leaks. I'm a heavy tab user and have had upwards of 50 tabs open at once. Many of the memory leaks that resulted in tabs not being properly unloaded have been resolved. The reduction in memory and performance increase in this case is very notable, but if you don't ever open more than a couple of tabs at a time the only thing you're likely to see is it crash less than it used to.

So by that standard Safari is the best browser. Why not use that :p

Oh, I'm just pointing out features that Opera is better at as they come up here! If you want a long list, I'd be happy to offer one :lol:

I'm quite the Firefox fanboy, so I'm already running version 3. I haven't really seen any differences in performance with the previous version so far. Many add-ons are not available yet (especially themes, so I hate the way my Firefox looks right now).

I'm not digging the new look much either. While I'm loving the speed, it has crashed out on me more than a few times.

Oh, I'm just pointing out features that Opera is better at as they come up here! If you want a long list, I'd be happy to offer one :lol:

Okay. I'm game. But is it better for Windows or MacOS? I am very anti-memory as my computer is old. But I do like my little search engine bar at the top of the screen beside my address bar. Does Opera have that?

And maybe someone can answer me this: I use Firefox, but why is it everytime I download Quicktime onto my computer it overrides WMP and shows MPEGS in browser? This wouldn't bother me, but you can't increase the size in Quicktime. Even when I try and make WMP the default for .mpg and .mpeg, it still opens in browser with Quicktime, and even when I disable it as the default in Quicktime. Its like it doesn't apply to the Firefox plugin (which I hate). ARRGH!

But I do like my little search engine bar at the top of the screen beside my address bar. Does Opera have that?
Yeah, Opera has that too. You can't (I don't think so anyway) add more search engins to it like you can on Firefox though. It has a few to pick from though, just not as many as you can add onto Firefox.

Most reactions

Back