Firmware

Burkelstine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend has a Nikon and he downloaded some sort of software on it that I guess automatically sets stuff up. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what it does but I feel like his pictures just have a little extra style to them than mine. I'm on a canon T6 and was wondering if anyone else has tried to download other firmware rather than the updated manufacturing firmware. Just want to see if its worth it or potentially going to brick my camera. Thanks everyone!!

I have Magic Lantern loaded onto my 650D which offers some additional functionality but I don't find it particularly useful.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

Magic Lanterns as J.M. mentioned above has long been a Canon aftermarket update/upgrade that tens of thousands of people have used; I would not worry much about Magic Lantern "bricking" a Canon camera. Nikon's firmware updates have mostly been bug fixes and additional capabilities, such as the firmware update that allows certain newer Nikon cameras to use the new AF-P focusing lenses.

I have done three or four firmware upadates over the years, and none has caused any harm.

As far as "style" to pictures, my two Canon d-slr cameras allow me to custom configure the JPEG image settings, adjusting such parameters as color saturation, sharpening, tone curve, and so on. There are also some software-created picture"looks" that can be used when converting raw image captures into finished JPEG images using Canon's free DPP (Digital Photo Pro) software. I like Canon's so-called Faithful look...it's better than reality, in my mind, and I like the looks it gives to many scenes. Not sure why they named it "Faithful", except perhaps it's a Japanese to English mis-translation meaning "Dependable" or "Dependably Good".

Magic Lanterns as J.M. mentioned above has long been a Canon aftermarket update/upgrade that tens of thousands of people have used; I would not worry much about Magic Lantern "bricking" a Canon camera. Nikon's firmware updates have mostly been bug fixes and additional capabilities, such as the firmware update that allows certain newer Nikon cameras to use the new AF-P focusing lenses.

I have done three or four firmware upadates over the years, and none has caused any harm.

As far as "style" to pictures, my two Canon d-slr cameras allow me to custom configure the JPEG image settings, adjusting such parameters as color saturation, sharpening, tone curve, and so on. There are also some software-created picture"looks" that can be used when converting raw image captures into finished JPEG images using Canon's free DPP (Digital Photo Pro) software. I like Canon's so-called Faithful look...it's better than reality, in my mind, and I like the looks it gives to many scenes. Not sure why they named it "Faithful", except perhaps it's a Japanese to English mis-translation meaning "Dependable" or "Dependably Good".
Awesome thank you so much for the feedback. Do you use Magic Lantern or have you used it? If so is it worth putting on my camera or should I just stick with the canon firmware and get better using that. Thank you again!

I have not used the Magic Lantern offerings. On dPreview's forums, you will find large numbers of posts about M.L. and specific versions of it and specific features that it can enable in software.

I feel like his pictures just have a little extra style to them than mine.

It sounds like you think camera firmware will make you a better photographer. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

I feel like his pictures just have a little extra style to them than mine.

It sounds like you think camera firmware will make you a better photographer. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

No I didn't mean style in that sense. Perhaps I am thinking like that though.

Most reactions

Back