First Attempt at Black and White

theadamsociety

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've never had too much interest but I recently received an older film slr and bought some ILFORD XP2 B&W Film, so I thought i'd give it a shot with my digital before I busted that out.

Let me know how I did.

Thanks!

2481392942_bf0df908eb.jpg

I'm no expert myself but it looks like your finding the right lines, objects etc to shoot.. this one looks a little flat maybe? but again i'm sure film is more dynamic than digital, especially for B&W.

Looks good, look forward to seeing the results from the film.

Yeah I agree there's something about it that doesn't do it for me as well. I have also heard that digital black and white is not as precise as film, but I could be wrong.

Boring subject. Shot is also underexposed.

My uncle owned that Bowling Alley for 10 years I could really care less if you think it's boring

^If you could care less, why did you even ask what people thought??

jeeez.

I'm thinking he was more concerned with the actual technical aspects of B&W photography rather than his subject matter.

Looking for more contrast is usually a key principle for black and white. Creates drama and helps to separate objects. What you choose to meter off of is more important in B&W than it is in colour.

However, keep in mind that film is much more forgiving than digital when it comes to actually taking a shot and simple processing (well, that is if you're working in the darkroom yourself as you have a lot of control over your negatives).

I'm thinking he was more concerned with the actual technical aspects of B&W photography rather than his subject matter.

Looking for more contrast is usually a key principle for black and white. Creates drama and helps to separate objects. What you choose to meter off of is more important in B&W than it is in colour.

However, keep in mind that film is much more forgiving than digital when it comes to actually taking a shot and simple processing (well, that is if you're working in the darkroom yourself as you have a lot of control over your negatives).

Hi thank you for actually explaining your answer, your response was actually helpful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back