First attempt at black and white

matt hkd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never really tried to do anything in black and white but I didn't like how this one came out in color so I decided to try it. Any tips you could give me on how to process a black and white shot would be really helpful. Let me know what you guys think.

_DSC4384.jpg by Matt HKD, on Flickr

For my taste, this isn't a subject that's particularly B&W friendly. Why would you take a beautiful, colorful, tiger and convert it to shades of gray? I love B&W, but it has to have the right subject.

Last edited:
For my taste, this isn't a subject that's not particularly B&W friendly. Why would you take a beautiful, colorful, tiger and convert it to shades of gray? I love B&W, but it has to have the right subject.

What he said. In my opinion a photograph has to be one that would be improved by black and white. Despite the fact that many people want everything in B&W, not every shot is suitable and this one falls into that category. Tigers are beautiful cats and that is an outstanding pose. Converting it to B&W did nothing whatsoever to enhance it in my opinion.

For my taste, this isn't a subject that's not particularly B&W friendly. Why would you take a beautiful, colorful, tiger and convert it to shades of gray? I love B&W, but it has to have the right subject.

What he said. In my opinion a photograph has to be one that would be improved by black and white. Despite the fact that many people want everything in B&W, not every shot is suitable and this one falls into that category. Tigers are beautiful cats and that is an outstanding pose. Converting it to B&W did nothing whatsoever to enhance it in my opinion.

Well, almost what I said. I did kind'a throw a double negative in that first sentence:lol:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll edit one in color and post it up for a comparison and see what you guys think.

If you want c+c on the conversion: it's flat.

Bring the black point up, the white point down and put a slight S into the curve.

Judging by the histogram, you edited a jpeg file pretty heavily.

Could you not change the background colour slightly??? or even make the background b&w?

Most reactions

Back