Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

amolitor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I had to make some adjustments to get the background completely black. Any tips to accomplish a completely black background in camera?

More distance between the background and the subject, and "barn doors" which are -- to me -- any fool thing that blocks light from going from the lights to the background while allowing unimpeded light to the subject. You can use big chunks of cardboard, blankets, whatever.

You can also snoot the lights, which has essentially the same effect but will affect the amount of diffusion you've got going on of course.

Buckster

In memoriam
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
This was direct diffused flash. I'm thinking it would be cool to pop flashes from 45 degrees on either side.
Definitely. Introduce light and shadow by putting the lights to the side, use a ratio to help with that, and that will provide more depth and dimension to the objects lit.

I had to make some adjustments to get the background completely black. Any tips to accomplish a completely black background in camera?
This will sound snarky, but: Just don't light it. Darken the room for the shoot, and control any light spill from the flash(es) with gobos, panels, anything you can find and use to block it from reaching the background.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics