First attempt at lighting and a background CC please!!!

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok well last week for school I learned about different types of photography. Not how-to, just going over different types. I was really interested in low-key photography. I was a bit apprehensive using lighting, just was worried at failing lol. So here was my first attempt. I grabbed what I could seeing as I don't have much in the way of equipment. I used a fairy statue I have. There are two different version. First time using lighting and using a backdrop.

Note: for exif readers, I use a P&S so I have no control over aperture priority or anything.

#1http://www.flickr.com/photos/68569598@N06/6734029233/

Fairy stone statue by blackrose1981, on Flickrhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/68569598@N06/6734029233/

fairy3 by blackrose1981, on Flickr

I know these are probably crappy, just need some CC for next time :).

Last edited:
I think I posted this at the wrong time. Damn you Lightspeed and your amazing fruit fly shots! :lol:

WOW! 70 views and nothing! I thought they weren't great but WOW they must be awful LOLOL!! :lol:

I like them, but I know nothing about low key photography, so I can't tell you whether or not you achieved what you wanted. Sorry. Hopefully bumping will help the thread get noticed by someone more knowledgable...

I think a bit of reflector fill on the right hand side might have helped. The black background seems a bit too dark for the subject matter, since it is so light...a dark gray or charcoal-toned background might have looked better. For a first effort and no control over all of the camera settings, these turned out okay.

Thanks! What are some common items I can use for a reflector?

blackrose89 said:
Thanks! What are some common items I can use for a reflector?

Tin foil! :)

blackrose89 said:
How about a foil car window cover?

Can't hurt to try it.

I really like the low key photo. It came out nice!!

blackrose89 said:
How about a foil car window cover?

Can't hurt to try it.

I really like the low key photo. It came out nice!!
Thank you! This was just a first try. I'm going to spend more time tomorrow, different subject matter too. I think my very controversial dragon statue :)lmao:) will be a great practice subject.

DSCN0511.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ATTENTION CHARLIE (aka cgipson lol)!

Your inbox is full, so in response to what you said:

Haven't seen the kitty pics I'll look for them :) . I was actually just using the glare from an iphone screen to light it. It was handy and offered decent light, but I'll diffuse it next time or find a better lighting source :lol:. So kinda like this Redirect Notice The way he disapears into the darkness?

Darel

I know you said that the background is too black, but isn't this part of the concept of low key photography? https://www.google.com/search?q=low...QKOx4TXCw&sqi=2&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=599

ATTENTION CHARLIE (aka cgipson lol)!

Your inbox is full, so in response to what you said:

Haven't seen the kitty pics I'll look for them :) . I was actually just using the glare from an iphone screen to light it. It was handy and offered decent light, but I'll diffuse it next time or find a better lighting source :lol:. So kinda like this Redirect Notice The way he disapears into the darkness?

Ah SO... You likey me links, YESSSSSS?

( and I will clean out my inbox.. sorry about that.. just popular, I guess!) lol!

Most reactions

Back