First attempt at lighting and a background CC please!!!

ATTENTION CHARLIE (aka cgipson lol)!

Your inbox is full, so in response to what you said:

Haven't seen the kitty pics I'll look for them :) . I was actually just using the glare from an iphone screen to light it. It was handy and offered decent light, but I'll diffuse it next time or find a better lighting source :lol:. So kinda like this Redirect Notice The way he disapears into the darkness?

Ah SO... You likey me links, YESSSSSS?

( and I will clean out my inbox.. sorry about that.. just popular, I guess!) lol!

Likely Links, you lost me HAHAH

ATTENTION CHARLIE (aka cgipson lol)!

Your inbox is full, so in response to what you said:

Haven't seen the kitty pics I'll look for them :) . I was actually just using the glare from an iphone screen to light it. It was handy and offered decent light, but I'll diffuse it next time or find a better lighting source :lol:. So kinda like this Redirect Notice The way he disapears into the darkness?

Ah SO... You likey me links, YESSSSSS?

( and I will clean out my inbox.. sorry about that.. just popular, I guess!) lol!

Likely Links, you lost me HAHAH

I did send you links the other day.. including the REDIRECT NOTICE you listed... goofy girl! :)

Low key with a pure white or ivory-colored subject is not really "low-key"...that's a misnomer. Just like last week we had a young lady who photographed a black-wearing, dark-haired goth girl in front of a white backdrop and called it "high-key"...that's not high-key; the SUBJECT also has to be light in tone and color for the photo to be a high-key photo. WHat she was doing was simply what most people would call "plain white background" work.

You were just using a black backdrop...a white angel or cherub on black is not really low-key. Take a closer look at the example link you provided, and notice that the subjects are all dressed in dark clothes and have dark hair as well...

I like them..Can't give anymore than that since I'm so new. Lighting scares the cr@p out of me, but I'm starting to dabble a little.

I think a bit of reflector fill on the right hand side might have helped. The black background seems a bit too dark for the subject matter, since it is so light...a dark gray or charcoal-toned background might have looked better. For a first effort and no control over all of the camera settings, these turned out okay.

+1

Low key with a pure white or ivory-colored subject is not really "low-key"...that's a misnomer. Just like last week we had a young lady who photographed a black-wearing, dark-haired goth girl in front of a white backdrop and called it "high-key"...that's not high-key; the SUBJECT also has to be light in tone and color for the photo to be a high-key photo. WHat she was doing was simply what most people would call "plain white background" work.

You were just using a black backdrop...a white angel or cherub on black is not really low-key. Take a closer look at the example link you provided, and notice that the subjects are all dressed in dark clothes and have dark hair as well...

Ok I think I get what you're saying. I also did some more reading on it. The concept of low key is NOT just using a lighter subject with a black background. It's about using a subject matter that blends well with it's dark background and using a key light to create highlighted shadows. Using the key light to highlight the contours and illuminate the shadows making out the image. Am I close?

So my dragon statue that I posted would be a better subject matter for a black backdrop rather then my white fairy statue?

Diz-actly!@@! The subject matter needs to harmonize with the background in both low-key and high-key shots. And yes, the key or main light should be aimed to highlight the contours and or shape of the object.

One of the classic photographic learning exercises is using one light, and a simple paper background, and an egg. Moving the key light around changes the "feel" and "mood" of the shot quite a bit.

Diz-actly!@@! The subject matter needs to harmonize with the background in both low-key and high-key shots. And yes, the key or main light should be aimed to highlight the contours and or shape of the object.

One of the classic photographic learning exercises is using one light, and a simple paper background, and an egg. Moving the key light around changes the "feel" and "mood" of the shot quite a bit.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back