What's new

First attempt at macro :)

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 8, 2010
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
15
Location
Elkton, MD
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I finally got my new lens :)

Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro :)

This is at 1:3 I think according to the lens (if that's what the numbers mean lol) I know it isn't awesome and it isn't exactly how macro is supposed to be done. I just wanted to prove to myself what the lens is capable of :) Believe me, there will be more to come :) Lots of spiders on the deck at my house :)

115.jpg


And this is a dandelion :) Not sure how sharp it is, I was doing these handheld - I know now that I definitely need to use a tripod :)

120.jpg
 
I know it's boring, but can someone at least tell me what I'm doing right or wrong? :(
 
"Macros" should be clean and sharp. You still need to consider composition as well.

3737462869_a673c42a8c_o.jpg
 
yeah - these shots are as close as my lens will get for macro...

What is that shot at? 1:1? or something else?
 
Would you be upset to know it's the XSi kit 55mm with the cheap close up "filters"?
 
Meh wouldn't really matter :) I got the new lens primarily for the zoom. The macro was a plus :)

guess maybe I will get one of those filters next semester though lol
 
is this any better? This is straight out of the camera - no PP done at all :)

4512362739_4a8d0fd7f9_b.jpg
 
another question - is f/10 too big of an aperture to use? Should I go smaller?
 
They must have been a dollar more than the set I bought before I knew any better. :thumbup:

They are a cheap way to see if you want to get into macro, though. :thumbup:


Sarah, on your last image, I can't find a point of focus.
It also looks overexposed.

Why don't you do any PP to your shots?
 
I normally do, just wasn't sure what to do on this one...

The focus looks to me like it is in between the brown thing in the middle and the petals that stick up in the middle...

I'm thinking that I probably should have gotten the focus on the brown things...

Definitely need to bust out the tripod tomorrow - just need the kids to be a little more cooperative... rawr. lol
 
Definitely need to bust out the tripod tomorrow - just need the kids to be a little more cooperative... rawr. lol

1/400s shutter should not require a tripod. It looks to me like you need to work on your focal points and composition.




p!nK
 
my hands don't hold the camera and lens still very well :/ I am going to attempt with the tripod and see if I can do any better ;)

If not, I'll just give up macro until I get a true macro dedicated lens ;)

I was warned that this lens didn't always do the best with macro - but like I said before - the macro part for me was just a perk.. I mainly got it for the zoom length
 
I seem to do better with white flowers... I'm not sure if I had this on the macro setting on the lens or not...

4513139862_73748166a7.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom