First attempt at panorama stitching: 150MP

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For full size 150MP image, check the Flickr.

I wanted to do some tests with panoramic stitching, so I went down to the fjord and took some shots of some mountains. I shot almost directly into the sun. This picture serves mostly as a test in setting up the tripod and actually doing the shots and processing. It was very fun! It's pretty cool how large the files become, and how annoyingly slow my computer is at processing it! I really cannot go any larger than this for the sake of my own mental health :)

While roaming around in my 150MP picture, I noticed a flock of seagulls catching the sunlight in a few places and some houses on the other side of the fjord that I did not know of when taking the pictures. Pretty cool!

Now my plan is to find a scene that really benefits from this kind of panorama. We have lots of awesome mountains here, and many lovely vantage points with views of the city and the fjords. And wait for some decent lighting.

Tromsø mountains, panorama test by Anders Brakestad, on Flickr

• Nikon D800
  • 70-200
  • f/8
  • 1/1000th
  • ISO 100
  • (the shots are single exposures.. the dynamic range of the D800 is incredible!)

I love panoramas; very nicely done. How many shots for this one?
When I went to the 750, my computer can't handle more than three or four shots at a time.

I did a 5 shot the other day stitched in LR. While it was merging I ate supper, watched a movie, and piddled around the house for awhile, before it finally completed. :BangHead: I like panoramas but man it's irritating the time it takes to do one.

This was 8 images (12 bit lossless compressed raw). I was originally going to do a HDR merge in lightroom for each of the panorama frames, but quickly decided against it, haha. I used my five year old Macbook Pro 13", and I was pushing it. My adjustment brush edits were true tests of my patience :p

I am going to play around with the lossy DNG convertion in lightroom, as I have seen tests that show no significant loss of detail (at least for relatively good exposures). That should speed up the processing significantly.

Looks good, always nice when something you haven't tried before turns out right!

Great job done, and a beautiful image it is too.

I can't even stitch a button on a shirt so what do i know but it looks good to me.

I did a 5 shot the other day stitched in LR. While it was merging I ate supper, watched a movie, and piddled around the house for awhile, before it finally completed. :BangHead: I like panoramas but man it's irritating the time it takes to do one.
I use a panorama program from Serif (UK I think), Just takes a few minutes

Most reactions

New Topics

Back