What's new

First Attempt at Portraits

FuryofNature

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 18, 2005
Messages
361
Reaction score
7
Location
California
IMG_3056.jpg



IMG_3046.jpg


IMG_3116.jpg


IMG_3078.jpg


IMG_3124.jpg


These are my 1st try at portraits/head shots. All feedback welcome. Thanks for looking!
_KA
 
well im a still learning myself but i'll point a few things i see and leave the serious stuff for the big dawgs.

his cheeks are blown out in 3

the hands in four completly distract us from looking at the face

and something i cant really put my finger on in the last. i think possibly the crop.. maybe just a little to tight, it seems like his elbow and hand is very close to being chopped off.
 
You need some separation from the background in the first 3. The color temp is very yellow in the last two. The perspective in the second to last is a little odd being that you are lower than him, and shooting up his nose. In the last, the lighting is strange. He's overexposed, squinting, and yellow. Were you using continuous lights here, or even possibly mixing continuous and flash?
 
The last one is the most interesting - he looks like a rock-n-roller type.
 
I was using 3 living room lamps for lighting. Its what was available at the time. The yellowy-ness might stem from that. I didn't use flash at all. Ill trying taking the yellow down in photoshop.
 
Is it ok to edit your photo's? I don't see green or red! aha.
 
I tried to make these less yellow. I think when trying to control the amount of yellow or red out of an image I hesitate because I'm worried I'll make the person too pale. I really want these to look good, as some of them will be used as head shots. I don't want to disappoint. Any help is very appreciated. Are these any better?

IMG_3051.jpg


IMG_3127.jpg


IMG_3075.jpg


Thanks again for any comments or feedback.
 
in the ones with the dark backround, (perhaps it's my screen) you need a hairlight or something, just to distinguish between the backround and his hair.. it seems to get lost into eachother. My favorite pose is the first one, and also the one where arm is extended and his hand is behind his head.
 
in the ones with the dark backround, (perhaps it's my screen) you need a hairlight or something, just to distinguish between the backround and his hair.. it seems to get lost into eachother. My favorite pose is the first one, and also the one where arm is extended and his hand is behind his head.

I did attempt this, but I was using a tall living room lamp that didn't light anything up as well as I had hoped it would. It there any photoshop type things I could try to seperate him more from the background?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom