First Baby Photoshoot

NayLoMo6C

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went ahead and did my first baby ( well, he's 5 months old, still counts right?) photoshoot. C&C appreciated :)

1 $IMG_8128.jpg
2$IMG_8248-Edit.jpg
3$IMG_8300.jpg
4$IMG_8304-Edit-2.jpg
5$IMG_8374.jpg
6$IMG_8385.jpg
7$IMG_8444.jpg
8$IMG_8497.jpg

not bad overall, but man, you really like to crop them in tight.

I agree about the crop. The top of the child's head is cut off in (what I would consider) your better shots. Raise the roof on those photos and I think they will be improved.

Yep... WAY too tight! You don't want a lot of empty space, but you do want to see the whole child, or at least from the waste up, and when you're going for compositions such as #s 3 & 4, try and get more of the Mother in as well; Moms are suckers for 'Mom and baby' shots. Also, watch your backgrounds and try and avoid those with disctractions such as the photo frame in #4 and the general clutter of #6. Overall, they're not a bad set, but there is definitely room for improvement. As well, I see some inconsistent white balance and exposure.

Also, just because you can shoot at f/1.8, doesn't mean you should always shoot at f/1.8. Most of the shots the DOF is so narrow that only one eye is in focus.

I think this is a lovely set, #2 and #3 are my favourites! I agree the shallow depth of field... I think it works for most of these BUT (and I'm guilty of it too) it's a little too narrow in some and I just want to see both eyes in focus. Number 4 looks overly 'softened' ???? The family portrait would be spot on if it wern't for hungry/teething baby with fist in mouth and grumpy face! But ya know the kid was probably over it by then huh? :) Nice set, definitely keepers!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Will definitely pay more attention next time on the cropping and aperture

Most reactions

New Topics

Back