First Birthday Party

Beaner96

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My little girl's friend had her first birthday last weekend and I brought my camera. I again would call this a snapshot because the background is busy I wish I had a better lens so I could get a better background blur but I'm still saving up. I made it black and white because the balloons were nuclear pink and casting a very pink glow on her and her skirt was also very nuclear pink lol. I couldn't get the coloured version to look right so I decided to go black and white.

Shot with my Canon T3i with the kit 18-55mm lens and no flash. I also used a reflector but I honestly don't know how to use one but the little girls mom had one she got second hand and she let me borrow it for a bit to play around.

I finally saved enough to buy lightroom and this is my first edit so what do you think?

IMG_3061 by JadedFantasy, on Flickr

It's funny as soon as I post something on here I look at it and think...man I should have...

This time I think maybe a tighter crop? What do you think?

I am okay with the b/w and okay with the crop. . . . it's the photo that I am stuck on. The sippy cup blocks her expression, and that's where I am totally lost on it. :(

I am okay with the b/w and okay with the crop. . . . it's the photo that I am stuck on. The sippy cup blocks her expression, and that's where I am totally lost on it. :(

I didn't even think about it but thanks for pointing it out! I thought it was cute at the time because she was so thirsty after eating all that cake but your right it doesn't make for a good picture.

Do you think I could have shot it from a different angle and it would have worked better?

Here are two other's from the same day but with no sippy cup better?

IMG_3148 by JadedFantasy, on Flickr

IMG_3064 by JadedFantasy, on Flickr

Beaner96 said:
I didn't even think about it but thanks for pointing it out! I thought it was cute at the time because she was so thirsty after eating all that cake but your right it doesn't make for a good picture.

Do you think I could have shot it from a different angle and it would have worked better?

Here are two other's from the same day but with no sippy cup better?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81152094@N02/7492425734/
IMG_3148 by JadedFantasy, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81152094@N02/7492429626/

I think photo 2 has magic potential if you can brighten her eyes.

Photo 2 is a very good photo, the expression and their eyes hold us to look and look again to the picture...

Two and three are so much better!! I would love to see them in color too. I think the cake color on her face is important :)

Also would love to see the close up cake photo in color!

Okay so I tried to lighten and brighten the eye's in picture 2 and I attempted a colour version what do you think?

Black and White

Colour

**edited when I uploaded the picture uploaded the picture before I brightened the eyes by mistake on the coloured version

Last edited:
...I wish I had a better lens so I could get a better background blur but I'm still saving up.

No need for a different lens, imo. Your Canon EFS 18-55mm lens should be able to handle this quite nicely.​
The exif says you shot this at f29. That's great if you want everything in-focus. But, you'll get very little blurring, if any, at such a small aperture. Try shooting in Aperture Priority and dropping your f-stop to under 11 (try several shots at different values). The focal length can stay the same - this was 33mm. You'll get a tighter DOF.

^ Sorry. I had the wrong exif data.

Last edited:
Jaemie said:
No need for a different lens, imo. Your Canon EFS 18-55mm lens should be able to handle this quite nicely.

The exif says you shot this at f29. That's great if you want everything in-focus. But, you'll get very little blurring, if any, at such a small aperture. Try shooting in Aperture Priority and dropping your f-stop to under 11 (try several shots at different values). The focal length can stay the same - this was 33mm. You'll get a tighter DOF.

I'm gonna guess and say the OP was using auto. Back when I used it last summer outside, it would give me about f/22 ISO3200 and 1/60 shutter. My camera can barely handle ISO 1600!!!

-Ken Turner

...I wish I had a better lens so I could get a better background blur but I'm still saving up.

No need for a different lens, imo. Your Canon EFS 18-55mm lens should be able to handle this quite nicely.​

Thats really weird that it's saying I shot it at f29. I did shoot in aperture priority and my camera was set to f5.6.

Thats really weird that it's saying I shot it at f29. I did shoot in aperture priority and my camera was set to f5.6.

You are probably correct. I think my exif plugin is grabbing your avatar's information. Sorry for the confusion. But, doublecheck your camera settings in Properties for photo #1. It just doesn't feel like f5.6 to me, though I could easily be wrong.

It's probably my avatar and I double checked my camera because it's sti on the same settings and it's f5.6 and iso 200. It doesn't say anything in properties in the picture but it's my computer.

beaner96 the second two are so cute!! I think the eyes are a bit overdone in the last photo. In photo #2 she is squinting a little so for next time I would be sure her back is to the sun or you are in open shade so her eyes can open.

You can get a 50mm 1.8 lens for 100$! It is great to learn on if you don't have the cash for the 1.4

Most reactions

New Topics

Back