First cake smash - twins!

Rebekah5280

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did my first studio cake smash today with twin girls.
These pictures are pretty much straight off camera with a little sharpening. Im trying to get to the point where I don't have to edit at all, except for maybe a little sharpening. Thoughts on my lighting? White Balance??? Other C&C welcome. I'm tired of slaving over my computer, I want to get it right SOOC.

$CS - 1.jpg

These are really nice! I really want to work on my SOOC as well.. looks awesome!

Thought one: What a waste of perfectly good cake. If anyone needs it, I will be glad to provide my address and they can forward the cake to me to prevent further such abuse of innocent confectionary!

Thought two: While you want to get as much right in the camera as possible, DO NOT assume that you can get it perfect in the camera. No image is ever as good SOOC as it can be with a little fiddling in the pixel room. If you can get your average processing time to <5 minutes/image, then I'd say you're doing pretty well.

Thought three: Not bad! For me though, the high key-esque lighting on the children doesn't quite work with the coloured background. I'd either like to see a true white background or a little more shadow on the children. I also think maybe a little more DoF wouldn't have gone amiss, but still, nice work.

You are braver that I! TWINS! I can't imagine how much of a blast that was.

Solid shots, though I second John's^ advice. You did a really nice job on the collage!

Very nice!

I think a little more DoF on the top two would be good. I think that you want the candle, the kid, and the pigtails all pretty sharp, and you're playing a "pick two" game. The kids are in focus, but when the candle's in, the pigtails are out and vice versa. It's particularly jarring in the upper left one, where the pigtails are quite soft.

This is a very minor nit, of course.

Shooting twins must have been a challenge and you did a great job. The skin tones look good to my newb eye. My daughter would love something like this of her little girl.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back