First camera

Byrnew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all, I am considering buying my first camera and looking for some advice. I am always taking photos on my samsung note 9 phone when I'm out walking / fishing ect. I was considering buying a fujifilm xt20 but for my first camera its allot of money when I'm not sure if I will take to the photography. So I was thinking about a used nikon d3400 to start with to see how I get in. My question is will there be any difference with the photos I take on my note 9 mobile and a basic camera like the nikon d3400 ? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne

HUGE difference!

The phone has a sensor smaller than your pinky nail, while the APS sensor is a bit larger than an average postage stamp.
Overall quality will be highly noticeable.

HUGE difference!

The phone has a sensor smaller than your pinky nail, while the APS sensor is a bit larger than an average postage stamp.
Overall quality will be highly noticeable.
Thanks very much for the reply I'm glad to hear that:)

The Nikon has The ability to use interchangeable lenses,such as macro lenses, extreme telephoto lenses,fisheye lenses,etc. The phone camera on the other hand, has a teeny tiny sensor, a tiny under powered flash, and very little in the way of adjustment. The Nikon on the other hand is a pretty capable camera. A real camera, so to speak.

Your phone camera is like a P&S; you have what you have, and that is all that you have.
As @Derrel said, it is the flexibility that you get with a dSLR like the Nikon.
The cost is that the dSLR is much bigger than your phone camera, and not as convenient to carry.

Will you see a difference?
Maybe, maybe not.
For casual "snapshots" that you only look at small images, maybe/likely not. Some/many people are perfectly happy with the phone camera.
If you do other stuff, then more likely yes. The deeper you go into photography the sooner you hit the limitations of a phone camera.

The thing that has to be remembered is that the intent of the Nikon is photography with all the variables involved and the ability to control those variables.

Whereas the phone camera is only capable of mimicking those effects that are really designed to show off on Fakebook.

The Nikon will make a photograph, whilst the phone will make a snapshot that you can turn someone into a zombie.

The Nikon has The ability to use interchangeable lenses,such as macro lenses, extreme telephoto lenses,fisheye lenses,etc. The phone camera on the other hand, has a teeny tiny sensor, a tiny under powered flash, and very little in the way of adjustment. The Nikon on the other hand is a pretty capable camera. A real camera, so to speak.
Thanks very much Derrel .

Your phone camera is like a P&S; you have what you have, and that is all that you have.
The cost is that the dSLR is much bigger than your phone camera, and not as convenient to carry.

Maybe, maybe not.
For casual "snapshots" that you only look at small images, maybe/likely not. Some/many people are perfectly happy with the phone camera.
If you do other stuff, then more likely yes. The deeper you go into photography the sooner you hit the limitations of a phone camera.
Hiya thanks for the reply. When you say do other stuff what is that ? Editing photos after there taking ?

The thing that has to be remembered is that the intent of the Nikon is photography with all the variables involved and the ability to control those variables.

Whereas the phone camera is only capable of mimicking those effects that are really designed to show off on Fakebook.

The Nikon will make a photograph, whilst the phone will make a snapshot that you can turn someone into a zombie.
Thanks again mate. Researching it all there is allot more in it than I imagined with the different types of lenses for different types of photos ect.

Thanks again mate. Researching it all there is allot more in it than I imagined with the different types of lenses for different types of photos ect.
enjoy and good luck!

Maybe, maybe not.
Hiya thanks for the reply. When you say do other stuff what is that ? Editing photos after there taking ?

No taking the picture
  • Long shooting; birding, wildlife, etc, where you want to use a LONG telephoto lens.
  • Close up; macro. Though I think there are some clip on close up lenses for the phones.
  • Sports/action. I cannot follow fast moving sport/action, even a fast moving kid at a party, when looking at the back screen of a P&S or phone, it is just toooo difficult. But on a camera that is up at my face, pretty easy.

Maybe, maybe not.

No taking the picture
  • Long shooting; birding, wildlife, etc, where you want to use a LONG telephoto lens.
  • Close up; macro. Though I think there are some clip on close up lenses for the phones.
  • Sports/action. I cannot follow fast moving sport/action, even a fast moving kid at a party, when looking at the back screen of a P&S or phone, it is just toooo difficult. But on a camera that is up at my face, pretty easy.
Hiya, perfect thanks for the information I understand now and it makes sense. I am looking to get it for wildlife and landscape so it will benifit me for sure.

Most reactions

Back