First Composite - Curiosity of the Dead

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

So I discovered this photographer, Joss Rossi, whose work is really cool to me. I also attended his workshop, "The 10 Commandments of Marketing for Photographers," which was pretty insightful.

Anyway, his work has inspired me to experiment more with compositing. I've done it in passing for things like cosplay, but never really approached a photo with the goal of creating a composite. Until now.

It's also inspired me to learn about other editing techniques, like selective dodging and burning, and colorization, which I've applied in this photo as well.

Without any further ado... An image from my zombie shoot with Britt. C&C welcome.

Broke_Daryll Morgan Photography-2.jpg

Original:
Broke_Daryll Morgan Photography-2-2.jpg

Interesting. It's not exactly my taste, but I think it's well done and appropriate to the genre.

Yeah...pretty good for a first effort. Good theme, good basic composite, nice model. ZOmbies are very 2017. BTW, George Romero died just a few days ago...we can thank him for popularizing zombies years ago. Although he was not the first zombie movie director, he was the first to have huge success with that genre, wayyyy back when I was a boy, 40-plus years ago, and he made multiple zombie-oriented films over the years.

That very cool tombstone--oh, that is just simply to die for! It realllllly helps make the shot come together! Perfect type of headstone!

Interesting. It's not exactly my taste, but I think it's well done and appropriate to the genre.

Haha, thanks John. We all have our preferences :)

Yeah...pretty good for a first effort. Good theme, good basic composite, nice model. ZOmbies are very 2017. BTW, George Romero died just a few days ago...we can thank him for popularizing zombies years ago. Although he was not the first zombie movie director, he was the first to have huge success with that genre, wayyyy back when I was a boy, 40-plus years ago, and he made multiple zombie-oriented films over the years.

That very cool tombstone--oh, that is just simply to die for! It realllllly helps make the shot come together! Perfect type of headstone!

Right? When I saw the top of that tombstone was broken off I was like this is the shot.

As for the work, any room for improvement?

(and rest in peace, George)

Great composition. Don't think you could have had a more appropriate setting, if you had built a set from the ground up. Not sure how I feel about the two colors in the sky. Maybe one or the other instead, but then again having both seems to create a little disharmony in the scene which is also good.

As for improvement...increasing the legibility on the tombstone's writing would help, I think.

Zombies aren't my thing either but I like it. :)

Thank you all!

RIP Edward Jefferson Sims

Alright, here's the final version I'm going with. Cleaned up some of those highlights on the background trees, and outlined the text just a little bit to make it easier to read. Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Broke_Daryll Morgan Photography-2-3.jpg

Nice work! Compositing is a long learning process. There is so much to know! Check out "Phlearn" on YouTube, he has great PS videos on everything!

Nice work! Compositing is a long learning process. There is so much to know! Check out "Phlearn" on YouTube, he has great PS videos on everything!

I already watch Phlearn haha. And I'm definitely checking their stuff out, but I'm more interested in learning from the master, Josh Rossi.

I already watch Phlearn haha. And I'm definitely checking their stuff out, but I'm more interested in learning from the master, Josh Rossi.

I normally go for whatever is good information, and is free! LOL
I really like Brooke Shaden's work.

I actually thoroughly enjoy the original more. A little work on that picture and it could be gold! The green light to her right throws me off a little, but as I stated, a few minor touches and I think it would be perfect!

I actually thoroughly enjoy the original more. A little work on that picture and it could be gold! The green light to her right throws me off a little, but as I stated, a few minor touches and I think it would be perfect!

The old me would have agreed. But I thought, why limit myself, and thus we have my final creation. Thanks for your feedback.

Most reactions

Back