First day of photography, ever

amayax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Of course, I took some occasional snaps, but today was the first day I actually went out and took pictures with my new Canon EOS 100D! I went playing a bit with the settings during a walk, and below are the results, every bit of feedback is welcome because I already love it! The more I can improve, the more I will like photography :)

I_0056_zpschncdibd.jpg

I_0061_zpsibrszhhc.jpg

I_0060_zpsx6rgl619.jpg

I_0065_zpsfbnkii7a.jpg

I_0074_zpsnagm0bvm.jpg

I_0057_zpsxpnbchav.jpg

I_0091_zpsdog02gqm.jpg

I_0087_zpsovq7gss2.jpg

I_0076_zpsgv4b8vm7.jpg

I_0017_zpsvpistxzc.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
Some nice shots, I particularly like the first - a different take of the cat portrait & well executed.

However I think you're over 200 years past the pointy of claiming 'The first photography day, ever.'

Joseph Nicéphore Niépce took photos in 1816 but was unable to fix them.
Thomas Wedgewood also did much the same around 1800
Both of these predate the 1826 image often shown as the first photograph - which wasn't even the first that was fixed (taken in 1822 & subsequently destroyed in testing) just the oldest surviving photo. These later ones needed pretty much the whole day's exposure for one image!
Going back even further to 1716 in Johann Heinrich Schulze observed a darkened image in a bottle of silver nitrate that perhaps could be described as a photograph :)

Sorry for the Pedantic rant!

After giving petrochemist his due ... for your first day with a dSLR, these are quite interesting and to me are an indication that you have a very good eye, (the ducks and cat notwithstanding). Your eye is critical and seeks out images that most would ignore. The contrast of the ray of light on the cat, gulls in flight, frost on a single leaf, a butts view of the bench, the geometry of a brick wall and arches, et al. They all point to the potential of a very good photographic eye.

Photography is very much a craft. As such, the more you do the easier and better you should become. Welcome to the forum, I am looking forward to viewing more of your stuff and seeing your improvements.

Way to go!!!! Out there, getting those unusual and novel points of view! bravo! You show good vision, and a sense of wonderment with the camera. Keep shooting! You've got what it takes. if this is your first day, I say, "look out world! there's a new shooter in town!"

Thanks all, I am glad you like the pictures! I will keep trying my best to do better :)

Thanks for the history lesson too :p I indeed should have said that it was 'my' first day of photography ever xD not the first haha

(the ducks and cat notwithstanding).

The ducks I can understand, I just like ducks! :p
But what about the cat? :eek:

I also must admit... the gulls flying was kinda because of me... they were all sitting on the ice and I wanted a picture of that grouping, so I got on a platform over the lake which was still about 10 metres away. Then I seemingly startled one, which made all of them fly. Then I snapped the picture.

Last edited:
Oh haha, didn't get it

Yea, cats and ducks are very abundant. So prepare for many more!

Cat pics rule.
More cute cats pics = less angry people = world peace + end to famine.

OK that went a bit further than I expected but if you feel the need to dedicate your photographic career to cute kitten and puppy pics.....GO FOR IT!

My fave subject is post apocalyptic looking deserts. Go figure.

looks like you are having a lot of fun

looks like you are having a lot of fun
I indeed am having a lot of fun :D I feel like a new world has opened up for me, as looking at the world through a lens changes how it looks.

Welcome to the forum.
Some nice shots, I particularly like the first - a different take of the cat portrait & well executed.

However I think you're over 200 years past the pointy of claiming 'The first photography day, ever.'

Joseph Nicéphore Niépce took photos in 1816 but was unable to fix them.
Thomas Wedgewood also did much the same around 1800
Both of these predate the 1826 image often shown as the first photograph - which wasn't even the first that was fixed (taken in 1822 & subsequently destroyed in testing) just the oldest surviving photo. These later ones needed pretty much the whole day's exposure for one image!
Going back even further to 1716 in Johann Heinrich Schulze observed a darkened image in a bottle of silver nitrate that perhaps could be described as a photograph :)

Sorry for the Pedantic rant!
We need more pedantic rants like this!

Welcome, all though I have not read them. Judging by volume i am sure you have recieved plenty of help already. Just wanted to say good job for a first day. The fact that you are alresdy asking for critiques means you seem likely to improve a lot as well.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Welcome, all though I have not read them. Judging by volume i am sure you have recieved plenty of help already. Just wanted to say good job for a first day. The fact that you are alresdy asking for critiques means you seem likely to improve a lot as well.

Mainly compliments haha. Tips for improvement are always welcome though, I rather hear the same thing ten times than not hear it at all! :D

In order to improve, here some of the pictures I took as well, which didn't make the cut to bet put here initially. But as they say, mistakes teach you more than successes, hence me posting them. I would love to hear your opinions on these pictures I like less, and how you would suggest I improve :D

Attempts to capture a nice image with pespective
I_0154_zpspn5ajtvp.jpg

I_0142_zpspvahw5kn.jpg

I_0141_zpsiwitbo1b.jpg

Some random architectural things
I_0132_zpsebgrwgae.jpg

I_0180_zpswa1khkkx.jpg

I_0119_zpsaa00hzu2.jpg

I_0118_zps4rphrods.jpg

Attempts to play a bit with color and contrast
I_0130_zpswmrxxl7y.jpg

I_0162_zps9ixopkfc.jpg

I_0160_zpsqjciwvg3.jpg

I_0148_zpspi5pxnhg.jpg

I_0149_zpsy2i4x7xn.jpg

I_0166_zpsdvdbybe7.jpg

I_0116_zpsz8ucexs8.jpg

I_0178_zps492i5fzm.jpg

@amayax You'll get a better response if you start a new thread in an appropriate gallery and just select 2-4 pictures for critique.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back