First DSLR 7D or D700?

BrettD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all!
Newbie here..:D
I'm going to get my first SLR after having many Sony point and shoot cameras that I have been very disappointed with the picture quality of. My neighbor does weddings, senior pics, etc and uses a D700 and has pointed me that direction. I see the new Canon 7D is fairly similar in price to the D700. I have several older AF Nikon lenses for an 8008, but that is not a major concern in my decision - I don't even know if they would work. I'll shoot mainly scenic and family vacation photos. Thanks for any and all input.:thumbup:

images
All I can say!!
Other than maybe seeing if he will let you try his out with his supervision to show you the ropes and then maybe trying out the 7D in the stores to compare which one you like more. You are picking between the 2 largest camera brands there is...

If the prices are similar, the D700 is more of a bargain for the most part. The 7D have more pixel if you want to print big, and I mean big (30x45) but if you don't print anything that big than it doesn't matter. The D700 which have 12 megapixel should be plenty for very large print too ( just not as much as the 7D) and it does do alot better in low light situation. Needless to say, both are very capable cameras. For casual scenic and familiy photo, I think the D700 is an overkill. Something like a D90 should be more than enough. You wouldn't need 8fbs nor do you need such extreme low light performance.

The D700 is a great camera and the 7D is shaping up to be a great camera. The D700 is obviously a full frame camera which to many folks is the sensor size to have. Others prefer the crop sensor. You'll have to figure that out on your own.

For me, I went with Canon because of ergonomics (personal preference) and cost.

Example:

A 24-70 f/2.8 lens for a Canon is $1300.

For a Nikon a 24-70 f/2.8 will cost you $1800

$500 goes a long way towards that next lens...

Either way, you're getting a great camera. You just need to decide what you want from a body and decide how much you want to spend. Once you get all that figured out, get your credit card ready for sticker shock... it only gets worse. :) You'll constantly be chasing that new accessory.

The 7D have more pixel if you want to print big, and I mean big (30x45) but if you don't print anything that big than it doesn't matter
don't be a pixel junky and having more pixels DOESN'T MEAN you can print bigger size. I have a 16x20 in GORGEOUS quality hanging on my wall from my wedding that was shot with a Nikon d70 only 6megapix camera...

Now d700 or 7d: take each one and hold it in your hands to see what feels more comfortable for you. You're a newbee thus inexperienced, take a word of a photo freak (don't be a pixel junky). Both Nikon and Canon will deliver EXCELLENT results both on screen and on paper. Depending on studio I work for, I could be using Canon 5d, 5dmii, 1dmiii, or Nikon d200, d300. When you look at prints, you won't tell which one came from which camera.
The only advantage you might have of Nikon to Canon is having someone who can give you technical assistance on the camera. Otherwise, BOTH BRANDS ARE GREAT.

D700 is definitely an overkill for casual shots. I would recommend D300 or D200 because they can take your older lens. Start from there, then decide what other lens you will need.

The 7D have more pixel if you want to print big, and I mean big (30x45) but if you don't print anything that big than it doesn't matter
don't be a pixel junky and having more pixels DOESN'T MEAN you can print bigger size. I have a 16x20 in GORGEOUS quality hanging on my wall from my wedding that was shot with a Nikon d70 only 6megapix camera...

haha, I know, I've seen sharp 20x30 from a 6 megapixel camera actually. I was just saying that if he's planning on printing big and often, it's something he might want to considered that factor. If you know that you are going to print a lot of 20x30s, a D70 might not the best choice, not that 14 megapixel p&s would be a better choice.

The D700 is a great camera and the 7D is shaping up to be a great camera. The D700 is obviously a full frame camera which to many folks is the sensor size to have. Others prefer the crop sensor. You'll have to figure that out on your own.

For me, I went with Canon because of ergonomics (personal preference) and cost.

Example:

A 24-70 f/2.8 lens for a Canon is $1300.

For a Nikon a 24-70 f/2.8 will cost you $1800

$500 goes a long way towards that next lens...

Either way, you're getting a great camera. You just need to decide what you want from a body and decide how much you want to spend. Once you get all that figured out, get your credit card ready for sticker shock... it only gets worse. :) You'll constantly be chasing that new accessory.

you're right when it comes to the ergonomics! (personnal preference)... the grip size on canon bodies (and sony bodies) feel a lot better in my hands... of course that's personal preference...

intempus, i didn't really compare prices with canon and nikon lenses...i was also contemplating on switching to canon system due to the grip. my hands are fat and big that's why i feel more comfy on the canon grip.

:)

to the poster, i've got to envy you. you've got deep pockets if you're choosing between these two very very good yet pricey bodies.

but as most of the advise you'll get from here is that it will all boil down to you actually holding, testing these bodies with your own hands.

You'd need a D200/D300 minimum to be able to use nearly any old Nikon lenses with full support.

Read the above since pongerts hit the nail on the head. If you're set on spending all that money on those two great bodies then go for it. But don't let anyone talk you into anything. My opinion? Canon have a retarded menu and button arrangement. The performance of both cameras are excellent so that is really all it comes down to.

Don't buy into the megapixel talk. Don't buy into the video talk, (buy a video camera for that).

that right again!

when printing comes into play, that's where those megapixels come in.

@ intempus,
the canon range comes in a little bit cheaper than the nikons...which...makes me want to switch even more...

I have to agree with Garbz regarding the button layout on these brands, I do prefer the layout of the Nikons because it almost (all) 'out there'...most of the buttons/functions you'll ever need is on the body not inside the menu system...

(to canon afficianados, please take the above comment lightly since i haven't really had the chance to play around the canon bodies)

but, again I love the grip size(width) on the canon.

to the poster, if you're in the US, i'm sure you've got a lot of shops there that you can physically hold different brands side by side... unlike where I'm at..different brand, different store!!! phooey!!! and the prices here are so much higher than the ones i can get from bhphoto even with the delivery and taxes included! :(

that right again!
I have to agree with Garbz regarding the button layout on these brands, I do prefer the layout of the Nikons because it almost (all) 'out there'...most of the buttons/functions you'll ever need is on the body not inside the menu system...
You do need to play with a xxD series Canon before you make that judgment. All sorts of claims have been made about the layout of Canon buttons by Nikon users that aren't necessarily accurate. As with most things, it's all a matter of perspective.

Saying you need to access menus vs. using a button to change key settings for example (xxD or xD bodies). ISO, shutter speed and aperture are all quickly and easily selected with buttons and wheels available to the right hand of the Canon shooter. If anything, it requires you to use your left hand to change your ISO settings on a Nikon. I don't find it necessary to stop in the middle of a shoot and delete all of my images. I also don't find it necessary to turn my camera on and off 50 times during a shoot. My batteries last for days and I leave my camera on while I'm shooting, even if it's for an entire afternoon... and I still go home with 70%+ power. My FEL, AF lock, and focus point selector button are right under my right thumb. My WB, metering selection and drive mode are available to my right index finger.

Some have complained that the function of the top wheel and thumb wheel change depending on your mode. Is this ideal? No. Is it difficult to learn how to use? Not for me and many other Canon shooters. Especially if you shoot in one mode more than others like I do. 80% of the time I'm in aperture priority mode. If I'm not in aperture priority mode, I'm in manual mode. Ironically, when in these two modes the functions do shift yet I never have a problem with it... Hell, I don't even think about it.

The new 7D has changed the layout of the Canon buttons. I'm looking forward to playing with it to see if I like it or not.

The point is, both systems work very well. I shoot with Canon and I find the Nikon system cluttered and unintuitive. Why? Because it's different. If I shot with Nikon I would probably find the Canon system to be clumsy. Get used to your system and the whole conversation about what buttons do what become completely moot... unless you shoot with both systems and have a tendency to become confused. :)

YMMV

Last edited:
Thanks for the great advice! My neighbor has explained why not to get too wrapped up in the Megapixel ratings. The point about the lens prices I have noticed myself - as a matter of fact with the 24 - 70 lens mentioned. The advantage if getting a Nikon is that Ron (neighbor) has said we then could try be get lenses that the other doesn't own and share. I guess the best advice is to really check out the ergonomics of each and see what one I like. Sounds like either camera would be overkill for my purposes, but i hate to regret not getting the right one the first time - this is always the cheapest route. As far as video: I could care less. If I was going to use this for video, it would be a video camera and not an SLR. A question that keeps floating in my mind is: Is there going to be a D700S out soon as the D300 and D3 have now been updated. I would think it's only logical the 700 would follow suit. Now getting the D700 and have it depreciate because the S model is released a month or two after would really irritate me. :playball:

Thanks for the great advice! My neighbor has explained why not to get too wrapped up in the Megapixel ratings. The point about the lens prices I have noticed myself - as a matter of fact with the 24 - 70 lens mentioned. The advantage if getting a Nikon is that Ron (neighbor) has said we then could try be get lenses that the other doesn't own and share. I guess the best advice is to really check out the ergonomics of each and see what one I like. Sounds like either camera would be overkill for my purposes, but i hate to regret not getting the right one the first time - this is always the cheapest route. As far as video: I could care less. If I was going to use this for video, it would be a video camera and not an SLR. A question that keeps floating in my mind is: Is there going to be a D700S out soon as the D300 and D3 have now been updated. I would think it's only logical the 700 would follow suit. Now getting the D700 and have it depreciate because the S model is released a month or two after would really irritate me. :playball:
Honestly, the fact you have a shooting buddy with a Nikon would mean quite a bit to me. If he has lots of goodies and is willing to share, it makes sense to capitalize on that.

Cost will be an issue, and there are lenses in the Nikkor line up that are even more expensive than their Canon counterparts than the 24-70's. For me it was a serious detractor because I buy lenses. If I were shooting Nikon I would have half the lenses I currently own... and I already have some $15k in camera gear.

But, with that said, if you only want a couple of lenses and you can cough up the extra $1000 or so difference between them and the Canon counterparts, the fact you have a shooting buddy with Nikon should weigh pretty heavily in your decision. It would mine.

7D or D700 for a first DSLR?

Since your pockets are apparently pretty deep, do you have the $ to buy a few very nice lenses to go with the body? If so great, if not, get a cheaper body(D90) and spend the rest of the money you saved on glass.

Most reactions

Back