First DSLR - Burned out on research! Lots of info..

ssnxp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, like the title says, I'm almost burnt out on reading reviews, scoping out MANY forums, and watching countless videos. I've also been to a few stores and played with many cameras over the past few days.

I originally narrowed my decision down to 2 specific cameras:

Canon Rebel XSI
Nikon D5000

I was originally looking at the D90 and the T1i also, but I think they're a little out of my range. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you could help answer!

1. Internal Focus Motor: From what I've read, it seems that the XSI has one and the D5000 does not. Most people say that this is not a deal breaker for the D5000, as most of Nikon's lenses have an AF motor built into them nowadays. Is this true? Would not having an internal motor be a deal breaker for you?

Actually, that's the only question I can remember at this point. I went into the stores thinking that I'd like the Canons more (My family members all use Canon P&S), but I THINK I liked the feel of the Nikons a tiny bit more; It's not enough to make a difference between choosing.

For a COMPLETE beginner to the SLR world, what would you recommend? My intentions are to use the camera for a variety of things:
Sports
Portraits
Model photography
Candids (quick moving)

I'd also like video. It isn't a complete necessity, but it'd definitely be a bonus for those random moments; I now I use the video on my P&S quite a bit. Again, the XSI's lack of video is not enough to remove it from my options, alone.

One last thing.. I'm planning on keeping the body (and of course the system/lenses) for years. Would you recommend that I just save up and get a D90 or T1i, or spend a little less, sooner for the D5000 or XSI? Oh, and if it matters, I'm planning on using the Kit lens (or whatever lens is provided with the camera, unless I find a good deal for body-only) for at least a few months to learn the ins and outs of photography.

Thank you so much for reading this far! I feel like I'm just blabbering, but my brain is completely overloaded right now.

PS: I do plan on, eventually, making a little money on the side through photographing events and what not. I would like a camera that would be capable of handling things like that without any problems. Thanks again!

Last edited:
It's easy to get burned out when researching a new camera, and especially one's first d-slr. I think the D5000 has a slight edge in the degree of features over the XSi, mainly because it's a newer model, and it slots in a little bit above the XSi, which is a true entry-level model, while the D5000 is above the D60, Nikon's older entry level, and also above the 3000, the new D60 replacement. The D5000 is slotted right below the D90, but has some more-advanced features like the 11-point AF system, and video shooting capability, plus the articulated LCD screen.

Whichever camera you like better is the one you ought to purchase. Fit and feel counts for quite a lot. There are plenty of affordable lenses with in-lens focusing motors from Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, and Nikon has an excellent flash system.

I wouldn't worry too much about the selection of a camera--it's not life or death, and whatever you buy you can learn to use with a bit of effort. Both the Rebel line and the entry-model NIkons have what is known as "one button" control, which isn't as easy or versatile as the dual-controls that the D90 and the 40D-50D Canon's have; "dual" meaning a dedicated,separate control for aperture and one for shutter speed adjustment.

Thank you so much for the quick response! The main thing holding me back from the Nikon was the lack of internal focus, but I took a look at the Nikon lenses and it seems that almost all of them are AF. That means they have the auto focus "motor" built in, correct?

Also, would it be worth it to "upgrade" to a D90 over a D5000 for a beginner? I'd like to have a DSLR with as many features as possible without being overwhelming, for me to resist having to buy a new camera for as long as possible! :lol:

Could someone also elaborate on the one-button vs dual controls? Does it make life that much more difficult?

Dual button control is 2 dials that controls Shutter speed on one and Aperture on the other (assuming your on manual)

I disagree with Derrel about the D5000 being newer therefore better.
Newer is not better!!!

I still need an AF lens on my XSI so there is not much worries with not having an internal Focus motor (with the exception to not being able to use older lens' Which IMO IS a LARGE deal breaker.)

I would base your purchase on lens prices, Choose whichever brand has the cheaper (in cost, not quality) lenses
However Canon and nikon are pretty much the exact same price.

You say you want to keep it for years?
Better go with canon , Nikons have a tendancy to fail from what I hear.
- Jokes aside (although I have heard more complaints about Nikon breaking than canon...)
I would recommend you look into the Semi-Pro Canon bodies E.g. the Canon 20D
you can grab a body for £200 - £300
Even the 40D you can get some for about £600

You may find, For your area of photography you will want:
70-300mm
85mm
35 / 50 mm (either will do but best go with the 35mm)
I dont put brands in specifically for you to choose which brand the lens should be with.

With Both canon and nikon lens' about 1/3 the money is for the name
Tamron and sigma make some really good lens' worth looking into (and they make mounts for canon and nikon.)

Thanks for the responses!

You may find, For your area of photography you will want:
70-300mm
85mm
35 / 50 mm (either will do but best go with the 35mm)
I dont put brands in specifically for you to choose which brand the lens should be with.

Thank you for this, definitely going to look these up.

I'm a mess, the more researching I do, the more I change my mind on what I want! I'm now looking towards the T1i as my first DSLR..
For some reason, I'm not too worried about lens prices right now. I just don't see myself buying a new lens often; Maybe my first one after 6 months, and maybe one every half year or so after that?

Er, you've got the concept of focus motors reversed. The Nikon camera may have an internal motor, but Canon doesn't use internal motors, period. The reason behind that design decision, according to Canon, is so that all their motors are designed for the particular lens on which it is used (so you don't have a tiny internal motor trying to drive, say, a 400's focusing elements). That said, they also haven't had the EF mount for very long ("very long" being measured in decades), so it's not like being compatible with older glass is that big of an issue, since you can't actually mount any of it. o_O

Er, you've got the concept of focus motors reversed. The Nikon camera may have an internal motor, but Canon doesn't use internal motors, period. The reason behind that design decision, according to Canon, is so that all their motors are designed for the particular lens on which it is used (so you don't have a tiny internal motor trying to drive, say, a 400's focusing elements). That said, they also haven't had the EF mount for very long ("very long" being measured in decades), so it's not like being compatible with older glass is that big of an issue, since you can't actually mount any of it. o_O

OH! Thanks for clarifying this! That explains why all/most of the lenses on Canon's website are EF! That makes a whole lot of sense.

I also saw some recommendations for the 40D. What would the older 40D have over the 500D? To be completely honest, I currently feel the strongest draw to the 500D.

uh 40D isnt that old...
40D is semi-pro camera
500D is ameture
40D has jog wheen
500D has arrows
40D has more features (minus video, for that you need 50D or 5D.. anyone else notice how canon has an obsession with the number 5 and video?)
40D has a "better" sensor asin, Better high ISO handling
40D has better body build (stronger)
whereas 500D has a plastic body

however 20D has a much better (acording to DX reviews) sensor than almost all canon cameras (with the exception of 1D, 5D and possibly now the 7D?)
but comes very close

40D has more features (minus video, for that you need 50D or 5D.. anyone else notice how canon has an obsession with the number 5 and video?

Haha didn't notice that until now. Thanks for the clarification; I guess my question is, does the 40D take noticeably better pictures than the 500D? If it truly does, then the loss of video capture might be worth it.

Also - Would it be worth it to buy an extra lens (Body + Kit lens + Telescopic) if I could get a deal? Say, $50 off the telescopic, basically. Or would it be prudent to just learn with the Kit lens first?

40D has more features (minus video, for that you need 50D or 5D.. anyone else notice how canon has an obsession with the number 5 and video?

Haha didn't notice that until now. Thanks for the clarification; I guess my question is, does the 40D take noticeably better pictures than the 500D? If it truly does, then the loss of video capture might be worth it.

Also - Would it be worth it to buy an extra lens (Body + Kit lens + Telescopic) if I could get a deal? Say, $50 off the telescopic, basically. Or would it be prudent to just learn with the Kit lens first?

Well...
Let me google that for you

:p

40D vs 500D - Photography Community
How would you choose? 40D or 500D: Canon EOS 7D / 50D - 10D Forum: Digital Photography Review
40D owners.. why NOT upgrade to a 500D? - Canon Digital Photography Forums
(all from the google link I posted ^)

As for the lens...
it depends really
If you decide to go with canon glass, I recommend saving for L or DO lenses (if you getting seriously into it!!)
But I think you should look at tamron and sigma BEFORE you look at the canons, The prices are so much cheaper and still have good Image Quality.

Learning with the kit lens is always the way to go, first, but you will out grow it. If you don't then you may have been better off with a point and shoot.

Once you've played with that, you will know what lens you need next, as in Wide Angle or Telephoto Zoom oe even some Primes.

If they are offering you a "get it now" deep discount on, say the "75-300" when you purchase the camera, go ahead and get it. It can help you in your descision process, when you are ready to upgrade to good glass, and can be resold.

If you have friends/family with the same lens mount, you can always borrow too. Though I would only lend my 70-200 f2.8 to my dad.

Thanks again for the responses. I've been looking for the 40D locally, but I'm having trouble finding it. I do like that it's larger than the 500D. I was definitely planning on getting the battery grip for the 500D (Eventually) to make it fit a tiny bit better in my hand.

I'm leaning towards buying locally (if possible) just for ease of exchange/returns if at all necessary, which I hope they won't be!

If exchange/returns is important then definately buy new, might be hard to get the 40D new at a store though, the 50D replaced it.

If used is good enough,and you will save a ton, try craigs list (face to face deals in public place only). Some people sell barely used equipment, because they have to have the latest and greatest as a status symbol.

1. Internal Focus Motor: From what I've read, it seems that the XSI has one and the D5000 does not. ...

You've heard wrong. All Canon DSLRs lack internal focus motors just like the Nikon D5000. The difference between the two systems is that the original Nikon AF models relied on a focus motor in the body rather than in the lens, though there system also supported motors in the lenses. Canon started out with motors in the lens. Newer Nikon lenses now have motors of their own and don't rely on one being in the body. The newest entry level bodies from Nikon omit the motor and rely on the user using newer lenses. Only those needing to use older lenses, either ones they already own or new ones that haven't yet been redesigned to have their own motors, need bodies with motors. The fact that the commonly purchased lenses, with only a few exceptions, now have their own motors is why many people don't consider this a deal breaker.

... I'm planning on keeping the body (and of course the system/lenses) for years. ...

Bad thinking in this computerized age; abandon it. Do not buy for the future when purchasing electronic computerized items (computers or camera bodies). Buy only what you need now (today + 1 year at the most). By the time you need the "better" model things will have changed; this year's better model will be outdated next year when you are ready for it. Lenses are a different matter; they have "legs", so to speak. Lenses are something that you purchase for use over an extended period of time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back