First DSLR - Burned out on research! Lots of info..

Thanks again, guys. Also, thanks Dwig for further clarifying the internal motor thing. I'm pretty interested in the D40 now, but the only one I can find locally in-store is $1,299, body only! The used ones on Craigslist aren't so cheap either..

I'm gonna go into the store again today to play with the 500D / 50D.. Still very much on the fence.

The 40D is a semi-pro body with an amateur-level AF system....the D5000 is an amateur level body with a much newer, better,and more-sophisticated AF system than the 40D has. If you're even remotely thinking about a 40D, do yourself a favor and buy a Nikon D90. The D5000 has color-aware light metering and that subject color analysis information is fed to the autofocus sensors, which is a concept Canon has finally figured out how to do on their new 7D body. Except for the 7D, Canon bodies have color-blind light metering.

The 40D is a semi-pro body with an amateur-level AF system....the D5000 is an amateur level body with a much newer, better,and more-sophisticated AF system than the 40D has. If you're even remotely thinking about a 40D, do yourself a favor and buy a Nikon D90. The D5000 has color-aware light metering and that subject color analysis information is fed to the autofocus sensors, which is a concept Canon has finally figured out how to do on their new 7D body. Except for the 7D, Canon bodies have color-blind light metering.

Thanks for the response, so you would definitely recommend a D5000 over a 500D, hands down?

For a beginner, yes, I woud reccomend the D5000 over the newest Rebel, but my above suggestion was that a Canon 40D priced at $1299 still gives you a six year-old, 9-point diamond array Canon autofocus system that I have used extensively,and which is, in my opinion, not as sophisticated or as versatile as the newer, color-aware light metering AND exposure system Nikon has developed for the D5000. My suggestion above was that the Nikon D5000 would make a better *beginner's* first d-slr, due to the price of the D5000, the video feature you said you liked, and the limitations the 40D and 50D models have with their color-unaware light metring, color-unaware focusing, and the simple 9-point (plus the 'ivisible' assist points,which are all sandwiched inside the 9 points anyway).

The Canon 40D and 50D, in my opinion, are great bodies, but they are meant for more advanced users than the Nikon D5000. The D5000 has an 11-area AF system with a new technology that combines COLOR information for light metering WITH color information supplied to the autofocusing system,which allows the AF system to better track subjects that moe across the field of view. This is something that only Nikons can do on a wide-spread basis; Canon has finally decided to incorporate a similar system after a 13-year head start on Nikon's part.

You are a beginner,so to me, the idea of dropping $1,299 on a Canon 40D makes very little sense; the camera has already been eclipsed by the 50D and the 7D, and the Nikon D5000 is designed with technology that would make it, does make it, a solid beginner's first dslr, at a fair price. $1299 for a Canon 40D is too much money to pay for what it buys, today. PLus, you mentioned you wanted video....the little Nikon has video...and a good price.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Canon EOS 40D 10.1 Megapixel Body - eBay (item 250516476612 end time Oct-25-09 18:24:36 PDT)

Buy now for $680
then spend some money on a lens (I recommend a second hand 70-300 / 75-300, I use the latter, Got it for £40 as AF wasn't working.)

From looking at the sellers feedback, He/she seems trustworthy.

I wish I saw this sooner! I went into Best Buy a few hours ago (actually almost 7 hours ago, now) and I was playing with the D90, D5000, 50D, and 500D. They rep told me he could price match the 500D with Amazon and I ended up saving almost $100, so I made the plunge! However, I REALLY do LOVE the feel of the xxD series. The weight feels amazing.. I understand what people about the xxxD series feeling like toys compared to the xxD series. I wouldn't go so far as saying they feel like TOYS, but the xxD's definitely feel rock solid. However, I think that once I get a battery grip on the 500D, it won't be so bad.

I actually called my friend today and she told me she had a 40D, but sold it a few weeks ago! I would've bought it right then and there from her if she still had it. :(

In the end, I guess the video capture pushed me over the edge; I know most professionals write it off as a gimmick and say it doesn't belong on a DSLR, but personally I love it. Then again, I'm just a silly amateur.

Thank you SO much for all the feed back everyone! I hope I didn't disappoint anyone by getting the 500D. I actually love the 50D, and I'd definitely would have gotten it if it was in my range, as I couldn't find any 40D's locally.

Oh, I actually have a few more questions..

1. In "Sport" mode (plus image stabilization and AF, everything else on auto), for some reason a quick moving subject (my dog) still comes out blurry. This was indoors, but with a lot of lighting. What am I doing wrong?

2. I found that my manual focusing is never as good as the auto focus. I always thought that pro's always manual focus.. is this true, or do you have the AF switch on most of the time?

3. I'm definitely going to get Canon batteries, but would it be OK to go for a 3rd party battery grip, or should I go Canon ONLY in the power department?

Thanks again guys, I really do appreciate all the clarifying you've done for me so far. I haven't been this excited in a while!

1. Why pay that money to use auto functions on a camera?
(to learn possibly but switch to program (P) atleast.)
You probably still never had enough available light at the f/number (aperture) the camera had provided and iso was at 200 (minimum on canon auto functions but can get iso 100 in semi-auto / manual functions)

2. Your eye is what you have to train to use manual focusing, nothing to do with the lens.. technically.. but no, Pros (or Paid photographers) usually use AF but set their own AF spots (read the manual you will learn how.)
however sometimes the camera just wont focus like you want to, in which case you use manual.

3. 3rd party is fine! I bough a Hahnel-450D grip (not as good as the canon one mind you but the opteka Grip for canon camera's are pretty good.) and I bought 3rd party batteries (and tested in my charger - important to see if they send the signal to stop the charger from keeping charging the battery when it is no longer needed - it passed!)

link to my battery: MicroStore battery for Canon 450D Rebel Xsi LP-E5 LP: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
only £5 compared to canons £30 - Battery life is the same (both ran out at the same time)
that is for the 450D though, If the 500D uses LP-E5 then they can use this battery too.

I think this is the US equivillent
http://www.amazon.com/Li-ion-Rechar...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1255960481&sr=8-1-fkmr0

this is however uk amazon, not sure if they ship to the US but they should, or try find the same one on the US amazon

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
When it comes to sticking with the name brand, in this case Canon, I can see your point. To date I only use Canon lenses, and accessories like the battery grip, remote switch, and flash. But when it came to batteries, I went with "Digipower", which was "Circuit City's" main line back when I bought my 5D. I went off brand, mainly because they had a higher "mAh" than my OEM battery that came with the camera. I gave my Canon battery to my dad so he would have an extra for his 30D, and bought 4 Digipower.

I numbered them in pairs, "1" and "2", just to keep them matched up for charging, I rotate them out and recharge them on a monthly basis. I have never run them down even on a day where I took 300+ shots. I have had them for over 3 years now, since I bought my camera, and have never had a problem. I paid either $40 or $50 for each of them, I don't remember for sure, but after 3+ years, I know they are worth every penny. And they still are going strong, I've taken over 200 shots this month, and the battery guide on my camera still shows this months set to be full.

Thanks again for the responses. Oh I was just messing around my house for a bit, before I really delved into the manual. I had no idea what P, Tv, Av, or M settings were. I've been reading it for a bit now, and hopefully I'll be able to get pictures good enough to post here for C&C soon.

I think I'm going to follow suit and not be TOO worried about the batteries/grip; Just gotta find a sweet deal first. I also need to find a camera bag asap..

What else would you recommend as a must-have? Filters?

Lowepro Stealth reporter AW 200 shoulder bag []
Lowepro Slingshot AW 350 []
BlackRapid RS-4 []

Compactflash cards (for 20D) x 4 (save link if you decide on this option for future use) []

SD Cards (for 450D) x 4 (save link if you decide on this option for future use)[]

50mm f1.8 []

Canon 20D body - currently $255, colud go for about $350 []
Only has 1day 9 hours from now so get it quick if you want the 20D
It also includes a tripod and bag (in which case you can sell that bag or just leave the lowepro slingshot)

Total roughly $822
But that is a better kit!
You could always take the Lowepro slingshot aw 350 out though (since the shoulder bag would hold that kit fine but it is best to have 2 bags!)
Price includes the cost of the 20D on auction!

[My advice? - Dont go above 4GB - More cards of a lowersize = better as there is less chance of loosing all your images e.g. My 16gb & 8gb broke so I bought 4 4gb now so if one breaks, I have 3 more!]
thats a quote from another topic I posted

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks again for the responses. Oh I was just messing around my house for a bit, before I really delved into the manual. I had no idea what P, Tv, Av, or M settings were. I've been reading it for a bit now, and hopefully I'll be able to get pictures good enough to post here for C&C soon.

I think I'm going to follow suit and not be TOO worried about the batteries/grip; Just gotta find a sweet deal first. I also need to find a camera bag asap..

What else would you recommend as a must-have? Filters?

Get a UV-filter for your lens(es) to protect them from bonking into any objects that could harm the glass.

Get a name brand bag that allows you to modify the compartments inside so you can make all your gear fit nicely.

Get a tripod (when you have money again...). People underestimate the value of a good tripod and what difference it makes when taking pictures.

Happy shooting!

I'd have recommended the D90 but I think you're going to get the hang of it with Canon too :sexywink:

Get a UV-filter for your lens(es) to protect them from bonking into any objects that could harm the glass.

And the war starts! :lmao: Why put cheap glass in front nice glass, it just increases the chance of flare and reflection... If you whack the filter hard enough to break you'll do more damage (nicks and scratches) with the sharp edges. The lens glass is thicker and has anti scratch coatings, it will survive a much harder impact then the filter. Get the hood designed for your lens and that will protect it better.

Definately get Circular Polarizers.

Get a name brand bag that allows you to modify the compartments inside so you can make all your gear fit nicely.

Get a good bag, brand doesn't matter as long as it suites your needs, and protects your gear!

Get a tripod (when you have money again...). People underestimate the value of a good tripod and what difference it makes when taking pictures.

Great advice, get one thats tall enough to use without the elevation neck, make sure its sturdy enough for your equipment and the weight of you using your equipment.

Happy shooting!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I'd have recommended the D90 but I think you're going to get the hang of it with Canon too :sexywink:

Nikon's make great subjects to shoot with your Canon, or Glock:D. Just kidding, Nikon is great for Nikon Users, Canon is great for Canon users, etc...

And the war starts! :lmao: Why put cheap glass in front nice glass, it just increases the chance of flare and reflection... If you whack the filter hard enough to break you'll do more damage (nicks and scratches) with the sharp edges. The lens glass is thicker and has anti scratch coatings, it will survive a much harder impact then the filter. Get the hood designed for your lens and that will protect it better.

Definately get Circular Polarizers.

Get a good bag, brand doesn't matter as long as it suites your needs, and protects your gear!

Great advice, get one thats tall enough to use without the elevation neck, make sure its sturdy enough for your equipment and the weight of you using your equipment.

Happy shooting!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Nikon's make great subjects to shoot with your Canon, or Glock:D. Just kidding, Nikon is great for Nikon Users, Canon is great for Canon users, etc...

Ahhh, nice to mee you, ErectedGryphon.

I know what you mean with the UV filter but if you look at it from a "realistic" stand point the OP doesn't appear to make a living off of his images at this point at least. I doubt a UV filter would actually "ruin" the images that are being taken with it.

I'm assuming, since this is the "beginners forum" that this is a new experience for the OP so another layer of glass is not going to "hurt".

I don't use UV filters for my stuff, I just try to pay attention where I move and knock on wood - it worked so far.

/sarcasm on/ With the bags it's not necessary to buy a Nikon bag since they are better than Canon's bags anyway (mostly only used to carry around Glock's...:sexywink:). /sarcasm off/

With no-name bags you might run into issues of losing the strap at some point or other parts simply falling off. Just don't be cheap on the bag - you never want to see your stuff drop or have a bag that's poorly cushioned...

LOL, nice to meet you too, creisinger,

"And the war starts! :lmao:"

The reason I use that is to, A) let everyone know the flaming is all in fun, and not ment to insult anyone. And, B) let everyone know there are alot of opinions on these matters, that more than likely are about to be posted.

I would never recommend a no-name bag, any more than I would claim the white box with with the word "Cheese" in big black letters is as good as kraft. There are other options out there other than the OEM of the camera, Lowepro, Vangard, Tamrac (The best of these 3 IMO), that do make good bags! These are examples, and there are many more good manufacturers out there. I own bags from all 3 of these, and each has its purpose, I even had the Canon bag, but gave it to my dad for his gear, as I was likely to tear it up hiking through the woods. The others are a bit cheaper, though I have yet the need to replace any of them.

Hey guys, thanks for the tips! I've read through a lot of the manual and I'm shooting on Manual almost exclusively. Still tweaking some settings, but I think I've got the Shutter, ISO, and Aperture understood.

My current list: (in order)

1. Filter (Cheapest accessory! Hah)
2. Battery Grip + Extra battery
3. Bag
4. Tripod
5. Remote
6. Decent zoom lens

What kind of lens would you recommend I upgrade to first? Also, are most Canons compatible with the same remotes?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back