First DSLR Camera Advice, Please

If you are going from film to digital and want to be able to jump right in reproducing similar images with the same lenses then I suggest going for a Full Frame body right from the start. You can get a used 5D MKII body for $700, possibly with some memory cards and extra batteries thrown in (a couple hundred more if you buy used from KEH with warranty).

The goal is definitely to reproduce similar images, I don't think I'd be happy with anything else. Thanks

Consider buying used or refurb to stretch your budget. Buy the best that you can afford so you're not looking to upgrade a year from now.
I've always been terrified of doing this but it's probably my best option. Thank you

Buying used from a reputable dealer is far less risky than buying used off Craigslist or FleaBay.

Buying refurb means you have the advantage of having the camera brought back to factory-original condition. It's more money than used, but it means you have basically the same as a new camera, and at least a 90-day guarantee is typical.

Thank you, for clarifying. :)

Consider buying used or refurb to stretch your budget. Buy the best that you can afford so you're not looking to upgrade a year from now.
I've always been terrified of doing this but it's probably my best option. Thank you

Buying used from a reputable dealer is far less risky than buying used off Craigslist or FleaBay.

Buying refurb means you have the advantage of having the camera brought back to factory-original condition. It's more money than used, but it means you have basically the same as a new camera, and at least a 90-day guarantee is typical.

Thank you! This is a pretty good idea...

I bought my 7100 and several lenses used/refurb. The 7100 was a refurb from Cameta Camera that included a 1 year warranty and had less than 100 shutter activations. It was practically brand new. The lenses I bought from both B&H and Adorama. Also check the buy/sell forum on this page as many times members sell their used gear when they are upgrading.

Also check the Nikon website they sell factory refurbs on their "outlet" page.

Whenever I had to decide if a costly gear is worth it for me, I rent it for a few days and see if I really like it.

If on a tight budget, going for a used camera body online would give you room to switch to a full frame in the future. I dont see any advantage of paying full price for a crop camera if budget is a consideration. Spend the $ on good lenses maybe..?

My recommendation is to get a camera that feels comfortable in your hands and another thing to note are the button and dial placements. Are they in a spot that makes sense to you? Also check out the menu systems, each camera has different user interfaces, some are more complicated than others.

This is why it's VERY important to go to a camera store that has multiple different brands of cameras.

Another thing that is worth checking out is the lens selection, does that specific brand have the lenses that you are going to need or will want for your style of shooting?

Remember, you are NOT just buying a camera. You buying into a brand.

The dial placements and silly add on features have been driving me mad. As does the commitment to (possibly) a new brand. I really wish they'd make a camera that was laid out like the old SLRs with a full frame sensor. This is something I'm going to have to adjust to somewhat although I do need something that feels comfortable.

It would be good to be able to feel out a wider range of cameras, so I'll definitely check out Best Buy's selection even if it's just to help me pick out a used or refurbished camera elsewhere.

I bought my 7100 and several lenses used/refurb. The 7100 was a refurb from Cameta Camera that included a 1 year warranty and had less than 100 shutter activations. It was practically brand new. The lenses I bought from both B&H and Adorama. Also check the buy/sell forum on this page as many times members sell their used gear when they are upgrading.

Also check the Nikon website they sell factory refurbs on their "outlet" page.
Thanks for the tips, I'll have to check out Cameta and the other stores as well.

First and foremost, both Nikon and Cannon take great photos and at this point you are arguing minutia if you get into a debate between the two of them.

But, I am a Nikon guy so Ill weigh in on the Nikon stuff.

In that price range I assume you are talking about the D3300 (now the D3400) or D5500 or something similar. I have the D3300 and its been all over the place with me. In the hot summer sun and the cold winter snow. Its been dropped, its been banged around, on the beach, in the grass you get it. Its survived admirably and still works great. Unless you do something really silly they are more than durable.

One thing I really prefer about the Nikon cameras is that just about all lenses made since 1956 (the introduction of the F mount) will work on all of their cameras. This opens up a whole world of vintage glass that cannon simply does not have the reverse compatibility to compete with. You can grab a nice Nikon PB - 6 Bellows and do macro work with basically any lens you have. You can even find used Macro lenses like the 55mm Micro Nikor for a real bargain.

The 24MP of even the lowest of Nikon DSLR's is more than enough to make beautiful prints.

Regards
Dave

Thanks Dave!

The Nikons I handled felt more durable. I hate to say this but I'm a clutz and I wouldn't be shocked if the camera got dropped at some point.

I also noticed the higher MP when compared to Canon and that they do have better sensors.

I didn't know that about Nikon lenses being interchangeable so that is definitely something to keep in mind as it may be more cost effective down the road when upgrading.

No, I wouldn't recommend the Canon T6, it has a very old sensor on it which has unimpressive low light performance, the dynamic range on it isn't too impressive either, this same 18MP sensor was in the t2i, t3i, t4i, t5i, t5 and now t6.
If you want to stay with Canon I would strongly suggest get the new sensor cameras like the Canon t6i or t6s, those are still not as good as the equivalent sensors in Sony and Nikon entry level cameras but they are overall good and modern with comparable resolution.

Another option is the Nikon D3300 which I personally own, it has very good low light performance, more resolution, has potentially sharper image due to the removal of the AA filter, good dynamic range and better AF then the t6 and it cost the same so if your only 2 cameras to consider are the Canon t6 and Nikon D3300 then I would say the Nikon is the better camera between the two.
The differences between the sensors and MP is one thing I noticed when I was reading up on the cameras. I do tend to shoot in a lot of low light situations (mushrooms, etc) so this is something to consider.

Canon's EF-mount was introduced in 1987.

Canon, and all but 2 SLR camera makers of the time, redesigned their lens mount to accommodate the hot new thing - auto focus.
Nikon and Pentax were the 2 that did not redesign their mounts.

The large diameter of the EF-mount and relatively short flange focal distance allows mechanical adaptation of EF camera bodies to many types of non-EF lenses with the use of an appropriate adapter. One can even use Nikon lenses on a Canon EF camera body.

Canon's EF-mount was introduced in 1987.

Canon, and all but 2 SLR camera makers of the time, redesigned their lens mount to accommodate the hot new thing - auto focus.
Nikon and Pentax were the 2 that did not redesign their mounts.

The large diameter of the EF-mount and relatively short flange focal distance allows mechanical adaptation of EF camera bodies to many types of non-EF lenses with the use of an appropriate adapter. One can even use Nikon lenses on a Canon EF camera body.

Thanks for the tip, I really appreciate it. I wasn't aware of this, it definitely adds to the list of things to consider when chosing the body.

1st of all I think you need to go with a full frame DSLR either Nikon or Canon. This is because it will have the same size sensor as the 35mm film camera and lenses will have the same DoF and perspective. APS-C cameras have a smaller sensor so you will have to relearn focal lengths and settings to get the same thing you are doing now. What lenses do you currently have now?

Most reactions

Back