First DSLR - D80 for $350?

Seniors photos I would go witht he 85mm 1.8 it is known to be the best prime portrait lens made by nikon.

I may be a bit biased, but the 85mm 1.4 is one of the best prime portrait lens.

The D80 is an excellent choice for a first dslr. It isn't handicapped like the other cheaper slrs--meaning it has a AF motor and all the external controls.

You were smart on the lens choice, go cheap until you know what you want. However, I wouldn't hesitate buying a 50mm f1.8 af right away--I don't think anybody has ever regretted spending $$ on that lens. You can buy them used on ebay for as low as $80.

You also might want to look into a 70-300mm af ed zoom, I've seen them sell for as low as $70 online--about as cheap as you can get for an ED lens.

The D80 is an excellent choice for a first dslr. It isn't handicapped like the other cheaper slrs--meaning it has a AF motor and all the external controls.

You were smart on the lens choice, go cheap until you know what you want. However, I wouldn't hesitate buying a 50mm f1.8 af right away--I don't think anybody has ever regretted spending $$ on that lens. You can buy them used on ebay for as low as $80.

You also might want to look into a 70-300mm af ed zoom, I've seen them sell for as low as $70 online--about as cheap as you can get for an ED lens.

I have looked at several camera models, anywhere from the D40, D3000, to the D90 and D200. (I've looked into other platforms, but I really like the Nikons) I decided on the D80 because of the reason you mentioned: It's not just a glorified point and shoot, and it's not way more than I need at this point.

The 50mm will most likely be the next lens I get. I've read good things about it. If it's still available, there's a Craigslist ad close to me that has one for $75 (I've also seen them on Amazon for under $100).

I like to photograph almost anything, but my favorite areas are (natural) portraits, landscapes (occasionally), flowers, bugs and other macro, animals, both domestic and wild.. To give you an idea of what I mostly like to shoot...

Thanks for the great advice guys!

So... I received my 18-55mm lens today. But no camera yet.. That's like... Getting a brand new car, and having to wait a week for the engine. Lol.

Or maybe I'm just impatient...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back