First DSLR, have a few questions

The best metering mode to use is up to you to decide for certain scenes. Spot metering is simple to use. Say you want to meter someones face for an outdoor shot (no flash). Make sure camera is in spot metering mode, point center dot at face and half press and make adjustments (shutter/aperture). This will properly expose the face, but be aware that other parts of the image may not be properly exposed, i.e. the sky, background, dark clothes, etc.

The beep in manual you are experiencing is normal from my experience with my XTi.

There are tons of tutorials online, you tube etc for postprocessing images.

Derrick

Aha! This is a good thread for me too (Thanks Pacman322!!).

I also just bought The same DSLR (just it's called 450D at this side of the world). The bug is biting me hard and been thinking of getting new lenses as well! But a friend suggested I should get 50mm f/1.4 instead of f/1.8.

Does it really make a difference (apart from the price)? Maybe as a beginner it doesn't really matter? Or is it?

Thanks!

montana- thanks for the info. If i'm doing something like landscape photography where i want everything in the picture properly exposed would i use evaluative metering?

noritje- from what i've been reading, the 50mm f/1.8 is a very good starter lens and it's so cheap that if you choose to upgrade to the 1.4 you could sell it and get about the same back that you payed for it. the f/1.8 not as fast, and the build quality isn't as good but most people i've talked to try that first and see if they really need a slightly faster/more reliable lens.

the f/1.8 probably the first lens i'm gonna grab, it's cheap and it will save me some money for a telephoto.

I love my camera so far though, it handles nice and the everything is easy to use. Image quality has been great for me. My pictures and options are so much better than i am used to on my P & S and i still have more to learn.

About the best thing you can get in that price range is the much touted Canon 55-250IS. Used it goes for about $200 (Adorama.com has refurbs for that price. Tamron also has a 70-200 f2.8 for over $600 that gets good reviews. As for that 50 1.8 lens, I had one and sold it after 6 months. Poor low light focusing, didn't care for it.

I wouldn't get too concerned about getting more lenses for the moment. Learn to use what you have. You will figure out what you need after a few months.
Yea, i just can't wait to start shooting with my first SLR. The Kodak Z612 was alright for family use, but alot of pictures would come out oversaturated, over/under exposed, not to mention it has alot of noise even at iso 200 like most P & S cameras.

As far as telephoto lenses go, which brands should i look at? I've been looking at Canon, Sigma, and Tamron. I really like the Canon L series lenses, but i'm not sure if i should spend that much on my first lens. But i also don't want to buy a low quality lens that i'm going to replace in a few months. The Canon 70-200mm f/4 L looked pretty nice and it's something that i should be able to afford (i've found it for as cheap as $570).

The IS Version is nice as well, but out of my price range. Would the Non-IS Version be fine for me or is it worth paying double for the IS version? I'm assuming it depends on the situation. Some Sigma's and Tamron's look nice as well. What would be some good suggestions for a telephoto lens that's priced between $300-$600, has 200-300mm of reach, and good build quality?

I'm probably going to be purchasing a telephoto lens first, as i plan on doing mostly wildlife and sports photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back