What's new

First dSLR shot

Laika

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
165
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of my first attempts with my dSLR. It is also my first time shooting in RAW. I know the composition isn't much to look at, but I am glad I got the focus right. Having the Canon S3 IS really helped me learn how to set the exposures about right, so I was able to jump right into shooting fully manual.

3677622765_0f9743cb56.jpg


Camera - Canon xSi
Focal Length - 55mm
F Number - F/4
Exposure Time - 1/60
ISO Speed - ISO-400
 
I would say you did pretty good for your first, and the exposure isn't too bad for an animal that is both dark and light colored.
 
Good shot, nice dog too
 
I REALLY LIKE IT!

Great shot of a true member of the family! Next shot, though, get those eyes looking at the camera. It would be another great shot of the pup.
 
Good Job mate and a lovely dog you have.
Keep on shooting!
 
Thank you!

I would say you did pretty good for your first, and the exposure isn't too bad for an animal that is both dark and light colored.

Yeah. He can be a difficult one to expose for.
 
Nice shot, but next time try to get down to the dog's eye level.
 
Thanks for pointing that out Baaaark and Samanax. I really do think that shooting over his head and the lack of eye contact is what breaks this photo. I think sometimes lack of eye contacts works (like in this photo I took a couple months ago.)

3626617548_c4a5c28b9f_m.jpg


When taking the picture in the original post, I was mostly just trying to figure out how to use the camera, So I kind of let all that stuff I learned fly out the window. I'll get it eventually.
 
Thanks for pointing that out Baaaark and Samanax. I really do think that shooting over his head and the lack of eye contact is what breaks this photo. I think sometimes lack of eye contacts works (like in this photo I took a couple months ago.)

3626617548_c4a5c28b9f_m.jpg


When taking the picture in the original post, I was mostly just trying to figure out how to use the camera, So I kind of let all that stuff I learned fly out the window. I'll get it eventually.

This is a great shot also! You have a very firm grasp on knowing how to work with light instead of against it. If you can't tell by my screen name, I'm very partial to pups, so this photo gets an A+ for me.
 
I like the shots!!! I am another dog fan!!! Against the grain is good sometimes too. But I think the eyes still tell alot of th estory!
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom