First film photo in about 10 years - got a lot to re-learn

Nevermore1

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, here is one of the photos I got off of my first roll of film in nearly 10 years. I have to say I am definitely spoiled by digital and being able to instantly see my results and make the needed changes. I'm going to need to get a lot of practice. I think I probably should have opened the aperture a bit more and kicked up the shutter speed since my girls can never sit still. It was kind of foggy when I took the photo as well and I'm not sure I did the best editing job...

DaleHolly1.jpg

One more from the batch. I think this one turned out a little better.

DaleHolly2.jpg

Fog can be really tricky. I think this needs a bump in contrast. Nice composition.

Edit: Ah, you posted the second one while I was typing. The second one does look like it's got better tones. Still might need the blacks to be a bit blacker and the whites whiter.

Thanks. I wasn't planning on posting a second one tonight but have been procrastinating going to bed.

They look like they were way underexposed. It might be worth checking the meter on your film camera against a light meter or at least the "sunny 16" rule. All of this is assuming your scanner is OK.

It was an old scanner I was using but they are probably underexposed. There is no meter on the camera - it's an old Yashica-mat that according to the SN was probably built about 1958. I was really just guessing for the settings on this roll as I wanted to make sure there were no light leaks while I could still return it (and my girls were driving me nuts as they don't have the patience to wait for me to adjust the settings).

I want to get out and do another roll so I can really focus on learning the camera but it's way too cold for that right now. Maybe I'll get out this weekend.

^^^^ I'm guessing someones account got hacked...

^^^^ I'm guessing someones account got hacked...

Nah. Just some scum-bag spammer.
I figured that! No way anything I have would be anywhere near that good! Next time they need to take 10 seconds to look at what they are posting to instead of having ot automated.

I figured that! No way anything I have would be anywhere near that good! Next time they need to take 10 seconds to look at what they are posting to instead of having ot automated.

And now that the scammer's posts are gone, members are gonna look at this thread and think, "What the.....?"

Sorry, folks. A spammer popped up here, but is gone now. Move along. Nothing to see.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back