first firework shots

12sndsgood

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.square1photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well someone else posted up about taking firework pics and i just got back from disney where i got to really make an attempt at getting some good pics of fireworks. so i thought id make my own post instead of stealing hers. i made sure to buy a remote to make it easier and of course i left the thing in my room. so it was my camera on the tripod trying to keep a steady hand pushing the button manually. went with around a 4-6 second exposure. i focused on the epcot ball before it got dark and switched the lens over to manual so it didnt try to keep focusing as i shot. my location wasn't great because i wasnt sure exactly where they would be setoff from. and they had this huge fire out in the middle of the lake during the show that was reaking havock on my exposures. but all in all i think i did a halfway decent job for what its worth.

shot of the fireworks from our resort the night before.

DSC_0107 by Sndsgood, on Flickr

i actually kinda like the silloute of the tree and lamps i this one
here you can see the huge fire they had going, u could feel the heat from the fire and we were around 3-400 feet away.

DSC_0210_1 by Sndsgood, on Flickr

DSC_0231 by Sndsgood, on Flickr

DSC_0243 by Sndsgood, on Flickr

DSC_0233 by Sndsgood, on Flickr

These are excellent, I've seen relatively few fireworks shots that actually have any foreground/background elements other than dark sky. You did a great job on #1 getting the exposure right on the building as well as the fireworks. Nice.

You should be very happy with the photos!:thumbup:

I love them!
Now I can't till Oct next year to go to Disney again...you put the itch on me!
lol
How did you manage to get them? I'm so confused on when to lower the ISO, I tried to get lightening..a couple came out but it most looked like an awful acid trip.
:(

thanks everyone

NikonNewbie, yeah we had a blast, were hoping to go back late october next year as well. hopefully i'll get the chance to shoot reflections at the magic kingdom. the epcot fireworks are every night but it was only like 10 minutes worth of fireworks when all said and done. not allot to really get some great shots.

As for the iso it was likely set on auto still. though set to not go higher then 800 i'll have to check tonight when i get home. im still working thru learning the in's and outs of the camera so ive been trying to learn one section of my camera at a time and slowly adding to my knowledge and understanding of it. i havnt messed with the iso or white balance much, though im starting to play with it here and there. with the fireworks i new i only had about 10 minutes of display. so once my first shot came out decent i just adjusted shutter speed for the timing. and since i was going on long shutter speeds (4-6 seconds per shot ) I think that somewhat makes up for needing to use a high iso (someone can correct me if im wrong on that thinking)

Beautiful. #1 and #3 are great. Is #1 hdr?

None are hdr one thing id like to try but havnt learned how to do yet. my processing skills are just the very basics right now. i likely added a bit of contrast and and increaded the black a bit and upped the saturation a little, other then that that was about it.

looks like for most of my pics iso was around 400 exp stop was down 2 steps and i was running around f22 with about a 6 sec exposure. the first one with the resort in the picture was an iso 100 with no step down on the exposure since i wanted it brighter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back