First flames shot. Pre and PP C&C please

PavementPilot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was out at a Christmas Event with the family yesterday. I took this shot of flames.

DSC_0209.jpg

This is the first time I have tried flames with a DSLR. C&C of the original please.

Now I did some PP and editing. I used the 'Out of Focus' filter to set the BG into grayscale. The wood and ash is already in grayscale before PP, so I thought this shot was a great candidate for this kind of editing. C&C please.

FlamesincolorBGBW.jpg

I agree, I too prefer the edit, but next time, stop and consider your background. This would have been a much stronger, more interesting image without all the people and other distractions. Selective focus has helped reduce the distraction, but it's still visually annoying.

I agree that the BG is cluttered. My original intention was just to shoot a flames shot. This was at a public event, so I couldn't control the entire scene. I just happen to realize the edit opportunity in the picture.

Last edited:
The kid in the pic looks like she is smoking a cig or something. Lol

The flame to the right of the pickup truck looks out of place. Almost like lens flare in pic 1. Love the kid's expression ... "hey dad - got a light!?"

I agree. The people in the background are just way to distracting. Looks like that kid is gettin' ready to smoke out!

Nonetheless, this is a far better attempt than your first time around. Apologies if I had offended you in your other thread. I was drinking, had one too many, and am sure I came off like a pricck.

Nonetheless, this is a far better attempt than your first time around. Apologies if I had offended you in your other thread. I was drinking, had one too many, and am sure I came off like a pricck.

Water off a ducks back. No hard feelings.

I find myself looking at the background more than the fire, but that's a good thing. The heat has warped the shapes and people behind the fire. So I don't agree that the background is cluttered.

I have to disagree with everyone on this one. The background is what makes this photo interesting. The logs on fire... really not interesting. There are 5 figures in the background.. all of them can't clearly be seen except for the child, some because of the heat distortion (which is a cool effect). The child happens to look a bit strange (someone mentioned it looks like she's smoking) and she's the only one looking into the flames. It's like an interesting 'street' shot.. but that's just how I see it.

In your edit, the flames being in color and the background in monochrome has the opposite effect of how I'd like to see this photo. The colors really pull your eye to that as the subject, meanwhile you have a sweet background. I edited it to give the background more attention and mute the foreground some.

htyJe.jpg

I can see how you edit has changed the subject focus of the photo. As to the child, she is eating a toasted marshmallow. I like you edit, but for me the flames are what I was initially drawn to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back