first lens - but which sigma 18-50mm?

superninja

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi, so i've decided to buy a canon 40D body and start my journey :)
i'm very confident and excited to begin with the 40D.

so, for a lens, considering i was new, i was immediately let down because i knew i couldn't afford the standard canon 2.8 l lens.

so resorted to third parties - tamron and sigma.
ulitmately, after hours of research, i went with the sigmas.

i really wanted a lens that was cheap, had a 2.8 aperture, standard zoom.
and then i found the sigma 18-50 mm.

but i'm stuck between these two:
1: Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 SLD Aspherical DC Optical Stabilized (OS) Lens with Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM)

Amazon.com: Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 SLD Aspherical DC Optical Stabilized (OS) Lens with Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

and

2: Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC SLD ELD Aspherical Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

Amazon.com: Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC SLD ELD Aspherical Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

my questions:
is the price difference worth it?
why the price difference in the first place? what's the "better feature" in the $420 one?
which one has sharper image quality?
which one?
is the cheaper one w/o constant 2.8 maximum aperture okay to live with?

i know, very vague, and this question is probably asked before, but any reply would be reat :) thanks.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I heard the macro one was better so I went that route (Nikon version), couldn't be happier with the decision - awesome lens.

Check out photo4less.com, I got mine there and it was a much better deal.

Last edited:
Well, I'll give you one vote for the Tamron. I have the Tamron 17-50 mm f/2.8 (I have the older version without the image stabilization) and I love it. It lives on my camera >75% of the time and I have found IQ and build to be excellent. It worked great on my 30D and now works great on my 7D. Focus may not be quite as fast as an ultrasonic motor, but it does a good job. I've seen them in the used market for ~$300. I'm not convinced that image stabilization helps that much at this focal length range, and you might be able to get a good price on the older version.

There have been many occasions where I've been glad to have the faster f/2.8 glass. It depends on what you're shooting, however.

Last edited:
Here's a story about the Sigma 18-50/2.8 by Darrell Young, a semi well-known writer on NIkon topics. Read his experience about three samples of the 18-50,and the way the lenses and the company *behaved*.

The Nikon Companion: A Tale of Three Sigma Lenses

Here's another recommendation for the Tamron 17-50 2.8!

Here's a vote against the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, and my story of how it behaved...

I originally bought the Tamron, was happy with the image quality - however I noticed that I had to constantly turn the camera off and back on again for the autofocus to work. After 3 days that didn't always do the trick anymore either.

I returned it and got the Sigma, error free ever since (knock on wood).

All 3 of my lenses are Sigma brand, I've either been extremely lucky - or you only hear about the bad ones.

18-50 f/2.8
70-200 f/2.8
18-250 f/3.5-6.3

Love 'em all!

You want the:
Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro HSM
Here

There are 5 or 6 different variants of the 18-50. The newest one (the one I listed) is the only one worth owning. Yes I've owned the Tamron (good copy) and the Sigma is much better.

Last edited:
Indeed! And the one you posted is the one I got based on high recommendation as well.

Here's a vote against the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, and my story of how it behaved...

I originally bought the Tamron, was happy with the image quality - however I noticed that I had to constantly turn the camera off and back on again for the autofocus to work. After 3 days that didn't always do the trick anymore either.
!

Shows to go you! I've had my Tamron for about going on 3 years with no problems whatsoever. I guess everyone has his Tamron/Sigma stories (as well as Nikon/Canon stories, I might add). As you can see in my signature, I own several Sigmas as well. I guess I've been lucky in that I have had no problems with any of them.

You want the:
Here and Here

There are 5 or 6 different variants of the 18-50. The newest one (the one I listed) is the only one worth owning. Yes I've owned the Tamron (good copy) and the Sigma is much better.

Hoping that OP will not buy the lens listed from your Amazon link since it is a Nikon mount. :lol:

By the way, I believe Sigma did not make the new version of the 18-50mm F/2.8 lens with the Canon mount. (The one that has HSM) And the older version is not as good as the newer one optically.

awesome. thanks guys!

but one more question: photoxopher, the link you posted (thank you very very very much btw) is the macro version of the 18-50 sigma, but i don't see the HSM label anywhere.. is this a concern?

itznfb's link shows the same model but with HSM..

this is throwing me off. any clarity? thanks guys! appreciate it a lot.

You want the:
Here and Here

Hoping that OP will not buy the lens listed from your Amazon link since it is a Nikon mount. :lol:

oops. Removed just in case.

edit: scratch that

This is the only one I could find in the Canon mount. The one for Canon on Amazon is the old version.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back