First Light box attempt help

alarionov

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so thought I would try with a DIY lightbox but had the most difficult time getting it bright enough. Still had to brighten it in PP but cant seem to get it white, its a bit yellowish.

1 1/60" F14 Iso400 WB set to tungsten on both
3325745943_3748247050_o.jpg

2 1/15" F22 Iso 400
3326582550_2d20e954fa_o.jpg

Ok so thought I would try with a DIY lightbox but had the most difficult time getting it bright enough.
It's most likely a metering issue. What the camera sees is a whole lot of white...so it gives you settings to make it mid toned (18% grey). The camera always does this because it is programmed to think every scene is 18% grey. But when you scene is mostly white the meter is tricked so you can't trust it. You need to add exposure to brighten it up. It's as simple as adjusting you EC (exposure compensation). I'd suggest adding one whole stop to start with...and go from there.

What is the setup? What kind of lights are you using?

What kind of material did you use for the translucent part of the light box?

Are you shooting using one of the Creative Modes or are you shooting in full manual?

What is the setup? What kind of lights are you using?

What kind of material did you use for the translucent part of the light box?

Are you shooting using one of the Creative Modes or are you shooting in full manual?

this is the one I did
How to Make An Inexpensive Light Tent - DIY

but I set up two clamp on lights from the sides.

I used shutter priority in this instance

For these kinds of shots I go full manual on my XTi and do lots of test shots and checking of the histogram. I don't use constant lights, I use remote Speedlites on light stands. I plan to get a Sekonic L-358 Flash Master light meter in the near future to help simplify things a bit.

It's most likely a metering issue. What the camera sees is a whole lot of white...so it gives you settings to make it mid toned (18% grey). The camera always does this because it is programmed to think every scene is 18% grey. But when you scene is mostly white the meter is tricked so you can't trust it. You need to add exposure to brighten it up. It's as simple as adjusting you EC (exposure compensation). I'd suggest adding one whole stop to start with...and go from there.

thanks for the help, I will try adjusting the exposure compensation.

The bulbs shouldn't be an issue, as long as your lighting is consistent....because you can adjust your WB to suit.

If you aren't already, shoot in RAW mode. This will allow you to adjust the White Balance on the computer, after the shot has been taken.

What I always did using my light box was I preset the WB myself.

When i set the preset WB.. I just made sure the box was empty and I was just taking pictures of the white.

Most of the time my shutter speeds were pretty slow. So.. you need to be using a tripod for sure.

*edit*
and even on some of mine.. the white could have been brighter as it was a tad bit gray.. here are some that I took back towards the beginning of last summer

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Parkerman/Photography/DSC_1989.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Parkerman/Photography/DSC_2024.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Parkerman/Photography/DSC_1964.jpg

The bulbs shouldn't be an issue, as long as your lighting is consistent....because you can adjust your WB to suit.

If you aren't already, shoot in RAW mode. This will allow you to adjust the White Balance on the computer, after the shot has been taken.

the first sentence says it all... I just realized that the clamps lights have two different bulbs, one is an incondecent and the other a compact Flourescent maybe thats the dilemma.

After messing with with in photoshop here is the second try

3326261335_777ccce46d_o.jpg

3327099514_bd4ebc9186_o.jpg

As you can see having some issues with pp as well, one seems to be more warm than the other.

Ps. When I look at this on my Flikr they should blend with the white of the flikr website right? is white the same across the board?

Ok so this is the second attempt taking all advice into consideration. I made sure both lights had the same bulb (which helped out a lot) and went full manual. after some pp work in photoshop this was the result. Not as sharp as I would like but thats another thing to work on..
1/125" F1.8 Iso 100
3327913927_44b252fa93_o.jpg

All in all I am quite pleased with results. Thanks everyone for all your help..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back