What's new

First macros with cheap ebay tubes.

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
2,410
Reaction score
64
Location
Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Without further adieu..

(original pics removed cause they sucked, edits below)

Not sure what I could do with my other lenses.. I tried the 50mm first with all of the tubes combined and didn't like what I was getting so changed to 18-55.

EDIT:
This is the little setup I made for stuff like this, and I was using on-camera flash too.

mylightbox.jpg
 
Last edited:
Can you not adjust the Aperture with these tubes? Try extending the depth of field. Also, fix the white balance in with PP. ( Just my opinions, nice if this is your first try though. )
 
Can you not adjust the Aperture with these tubes? Try extending the depth of field. Also, fix the white balance in with PP. ( Just my opinions, nice if this is your first try though. )

No, can't adjust aperture. They were 10 bucks.. so you get what you pay for but I only wanted to experiment with them to see if I'm interested enough to buy a lens.

Can I get a second opinion about the white balance? I figured they looked a little underexposed, so I made a quick edit:

flowermacrofirst3.jpg


This one too:
flowermacrofirst2-1.jpg
 
Last edited:
You can adjust your aperture, the 50mm at 1.8 is way to shallow but its also a way sharper lens than the 18-55mm, so here is how I do it with my T1i.

Put the lens you want on the camera (without the tubes) and set your aperture, now whilst holding down the DOF preview button release the lens, and dismount, put your tubes in and your set to go, a bit fiddly to change but it does work.

Takes some experimentation to get the right combo, but worth the effort.
 
Rez
The re-edited shot has much more 'pop', your first examples were too soft.
 
You can adjust your aperture, the 50mm at 1.8 is way to shallow but its also a way sharper lens than the 18-55mm, so here is how I do it with my T1i.

Put the lens you want on the camera (without the tubes) and set your aperture, now whilst holding down the DOF preview button release the lens, and dismount, put your tubes in and your set to go, a bit fiddly to change but it does work.

Takes some experimentation to get the right combo, but worth the effort.

That's awesome! Great tip, thank you so much. :mrgreen:

I'll try this tonight later on.
 
just curious, which ones did you get? are they the DUL brand or something like that?
 
just curious, which ones did you get? are they the DUL brand or something like that?

Maybe, I can't remember. They were honestly like $10 with $4 shipping charge from ebay, I just picked one assuming they were all about equal. I bought them just to see if I could pull off an interesting macro. Now that I know how to lock in the aperture size I'll be putting some more effort into it.
 
Oh cool, yeah i just ordered some that were like $7 with free shipping from some random city in china. all those ones under 10 bucks look the same so I guess they are, thanks for the heads up, this quality looks pretty good
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom