First Micro 4/3 Cam Revealed - the Panasonic DMC-G1

Eventually, display technology will advance to the point that an EVF will be fully as functional as a mirror and prism, at which time I think they will take over rather quickly.

A chart I found regarding lens development for the Panasonic Lumix lenses (not Leica or other Zeiss or others that are developing for this platform):

roadmap.png

Sounds like you are hoping for Leica to release a digital CL of sorts...

A camera the size of a G9 with a lot of the digital aspects (EVF, live view, pocketable, discreet etc) found in high end P&S but with favorable aspects found only in DSLRs (interchangeable lenses, larger sensor, high image quality, ISO performance). It doesn't have to be based on the 4/3rds system. You and I are already familiar with a series of lenses that are compact, high quality, close film to lens distance, based on a system that doesn't require the retrofocus to accommodate for the mirror box SLRs... we know it as the M-mount. Just like the K/KAF Pentax mount, I think it is perfectly possible to produce an M-mount series of Autofocus lenses. Leica is more than capable of creating the design; the pro-digital Leica S1 75 mpixel camera , Autofocus involvement with Minolta were far more complex. Funding the R&D and implementation is an entirely different matter...

If you ask me.... Olympus micro 4/3rds mount was exactly what Leica should have come up with a few years ago. Ah well...

"1.44 million pixel EVF" Now that makes all the difference! They have addressed the main problems with EVF's. This is the future. I predict that every major maker will be building these compact hybrid interchangeable-lens EVF cameras soon.

Most reactions

Back