First mirrorless camera

Also I believe the em1 does not have a fully articulated screen as the EM5 does.
I remember telling my wife when I was buying the EM1.1 that I didn't care for a fully-articulating screen. I didn't, at the time.

After traveling with it, I can surely say that wish it had a fully-articulating screen, haha.

Also I believe the em1 does not have a fully articulated screen as the EM5 does.
I remember telling my wife when I was buying the EM1.1 that I didn't care for a fully-articulating screen. I didn't, at the time.

After traveling with it, I can surely say that wish it had a fully-articulating screen, haha.

Yes it does come in handy for high and low shots. Also it has the selfie function that I have sued a couple times.

I'd look at the Fujifilm XT20 body, new. Buy the 18-55mm or 18-135 used. You'll be under a grand. If your into landscape, pick up a used 10-24mm. Both have excellent image stabilization, micro contrast, and sharpness.
Thanks for the reply, although not weather sealed the x-t20 is a really cool camera, my dream camera is a Olympus em-1.2 or Fuji x-t2/x-Pro sadly these are just not in budget and also not necessary, the cameras I'm looking at now seem to hit the balance between price and use for me

Weather sealed is BS. Any camera in the rain is trouble. The 18-55 lens is not weather sealed. It's a gimic, incidental is as far as I would go with my XT2 or XP2. You really want a sealed camera, buy one of those Fujifilm XP120.

Sorry no gimic with the Olympus. I have used mine in heavy rain. Got it completely soaked many times for extended times. There is plenty of proof out there on how good the weather seal on the Olympus gear is.

I have read this too in many posts, and a tough magnesiumaloid body never hurts does it?

Any thoughts on the dmc g85 or gx8?

Not a lot. I think its a matter of holding each in your hand if you can and see which you prefer. What I know for sure is you will get better stabilzation with Olympus and better video with Panny. I then comes down to features and camera ergonomics. But remember they are all m43 so if you decide in the future to change you body from Oly to Panny or vice-versa the lenses will work on both. Between Oly, Panny, Sigma and others you have tons of lenses to choose from.

The lens selection, size of the lenses (smaller than a apc or ff counterpart) and form factor is what is compelling for me from m43

I'd look at the Fujifilm XT20 body, new. Buy the 18-55mm or 18-135 used. You'll be under a grand. If your into landscape, pick up a used 10-24mm. Both have excellent image stabilization, micro contrast, and sharpness.
Thanks for the reply, although not weather sealed the x-t20 is a really cool camera, my dream camera is a Olympus em-1.2 or Fuji x-t2/x-Pro sadly these are just not in budget and also not necessary, the cameras I'm looking at now seem to hit the balance between price and use for me

Weather sealed is BS. Any camera in the rain is trouble. The 18-55 lens is not weather sealed. It's a gimic, incidental is as far as I would go with my XT2 or XP2. You really want a sealed camera, buy one of those Fujifilm XP120.

Sorry no gimic with the Olympus. I have used mine in heavy rain. Got it completely soaked many times for extended times. There is plenty of proof out there on how good the weather seal on the Olympus gear is.

I have read this too in many posts, and a tough magnesiumaloid body never hurts does it?

Not a lot. I think its a matter of holding each in your hand if you can and see which you prefer. What I know for sure is you will get better stabilzation with Olympus and better video with Panny. I then comes down to features and camera ergonomics. But remember they are all m43 so if you decide in the future to change you body from Oly to Panny or vice-versa the lenses will work on both. Between Oly, Panny, Sigma and others you have tons of lenses to choose from.

The lens selection, size of the lenses (smaller than a apc or ff counterpart) and form factor is what is compelling for me from m43

Yes and like @beagle100 said, if you need even smaller you can get decent pancake lenses.

Yes and like @beagle100 said, if you need even smaller you can get decent pancake lenses.
So m43 and mirrorless it is, now the only thing left is deciding on a body and starter lens... what would you guys go for for let's say 1200-1300€? If you were me?

Yes it does come in handy for high and low shots. Also it has the selfie function that I have sued a couple times.
Agreed! The EM1.1 does ok with high/low shots, but can't do selfie or odd angles. :(

Agreed! The EM1.1 does ok with high/low shots, but can't do selfie or odd angles. :(
I learned to blindly take pictures of myself with the point and shoot, maybe not ideal but I nail it most of the time. I also tend to place the camera on a rock, frame the shot and run for it, got us some hilarious family pictures. Although I can't deny that it's tempting to have a fully articulated screen while you can protect the screen by folding it against the body.

So m43 and mirrorless it is, now the only thing left is deciding on a body and starter lens... what would you guys go for for let's say 1200-1300€? If you were me?
In my opinion...

Body: EM5.2

Some good lenses (these are all Oly) to get you started:
  • 12-40 f/2.8
  • 14-150 II f/variable (this is probably more delicate than the other two lenses)
  • 17 f/1.8
All used, if possible. Also can't guarantee these are all in the 1200-1300€ range... You'll also need a good tripod and strap or bag or clip or all the above. Don't forget about those!

In my opinion...

Body: EM5.2

Some good lenses (these are all Oly) to get you started:
  • 12-40 f/2.8
  • 14-150 II f/variable (this is probably more delicate than the other two lenses)
  • 17 f/1.8
All used, if possible. Also can't guarantee these are all in the 1200-1300€ range... You'll also need a good tripod and strap or bag or clip or all the above. Don't forget about those!

Right now there is a €100,- cash back on a new em5.2 + 12-40 Pro making it €1500. I also saw the 14-150 and it's definitely a contender. I know that I need some "accessories" that's why I don't want to spend more than approximately €1400 on body and one lens at first.

Yes the 14-150 is a great cheap travel lens, plastic fantastic and its weather sealed. So you can start off with that lens. But not great in low light so if you can pair it with the 17mm f1.8 you will have everything covered. The 17mm is not weather sealed.

These would be my recommendations for body and lens, in no particular order.

Body: EM5 MKII

Lens

1. 12-100 IS Pro

Benefits of good range, great IQ, sharp, fast AF and amazing dual IS so you can stop down shutter for low light. Weather sealed

2. 14-150mm + 17mm 1.8

14-150 - Great range, good IQ, weather sealed. Not good low light.
17mm - Great IQ, sharp, super fast AF, great for video. Low light. Not weather sealed.

3. 12-40 f2.8 Pro

Great IQ, fast AF, sharp, good for video, low light. Weather sealed. Short range.

I don't know enough of the pancake lenses but maybe @beagle100 can recommend one.

1. 12-100 IS Pro

Benefits of good range, great IQ, sharp, fast AF and amazing dual IS so you can stop down shutter for low light. Weather sealed
I want that so bad, but I don't think my wife would be happy with me buying another lens so soon, haha.

1. 12-100 IS Pro

I want that so bad, but I don't think my wife would be happy with me buying another lens so soon, haha.

Although its a bit expensive for me right now I have been slowly convincing myself I need it. :BangHead:.
I am also trying to find a used 50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD which is a FT lens that works really well with the EM1.2.

I am also trying to find a used 50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD which is a FT lens that works really well with the EM1.2.
I think I thought I saw one for sale over here, but I'm not sure when I saw it... it could have been a couple months ago.

I think I thought I saw one for sale over here, but I'm not sure when I saw it... it could have been a couple months ago.

Thanks. Just checked and unfortunately it was the non-SWD version.

Most reactions

Back