first moon pics.

cletusjermal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went out and took some pics of the moon tonight. What do you think. I just set it to auto WB. What is a good WB to use for this type shot. The first is the full size pic and the second is cropped in. Does it look out of focus a little. I went to 10x on the screen and tried to manually focus it as close as i could.

_MG_4126-3.jpg

Mooncropped1.jpg

At 400mm you should be able to get closer and be much clearer. Did you use a tripod? Delayed shutter or remote?

Took some of the moon also tonight yours look just a little bright try to go out and get one -1/3

At 400mm you should be able to get closer and be much clearer. Did you use a tripod? Delayed shutter or remote?

How do you look up the info for pics. Like how did you know it was taken at 400mm

Try mirror lock up to reduce mirror slap vibrations. and a sturdy tripod to prevent wind from bouncing the camera around. Use a wireless remote or a wired shutter release so you dont press the actual shutter button on the camera itself.

Try mirror lock up to reduce mirror slap vibrations. and a sturdy tripod to prevent wind from bouncing the camera around. Use a wireless remote or a wired shutter release so you dont press the actual shutter button on the camera itself.

Went and took some more pics with the mirror lock up and a shutter release cable. I used the auto focus this time. Doesnt really look any better i dont think. Ill try the manual focus with the shutter release and lock up.

Mooncrop-4132.jpg

Here is a manual focus one.

Cropped4142.jpg

Last edited:
I just went outside to take a snap shot with tripod and whatnot... Problem with mine is the huge crop I had to do and the lens itself isnt the sharpest...
I used my 75-300 and it barely used any of the frame. Wish I had more MP and possibly a bigger zoom and sharper lens, to get an awesome shot... I tried some sharpening in PP but the image was just too small (from large crop) to really do any good.

I just went outside to take a snap shot with tripod and whatnot... Problem with mine is the huge crop I had to do and the lens itself isnt the sharpest...
I used my 75-300 and it barely used any of the frame. Wish I had more MP and possibly a bigger zoom and sharper lens, to get an awesome shot... I tried some sharpening in PP but the image was just too small (from large crop) to really do any good.

Well, I think you could have done alright with your setup to be honest.

First, stop the lens down to its sharpest aperture, probably like f/8, maybe f/9.

Shutter speed will be like 1/125, for a good moon exposure anyway.

Next, enable mirror-lockup - not sure if your Rebel does this, my setting is in my 'custom functions' menu.

You'll want to manually focus while in live view (not sure if you can do this) where you can enlarge the area you want to focus on at 5x or 10x zoom on the screen. Then use the self timer to get a steady shot (or a release/remote).

Ok kinda weird, I think I took almost the exact same shot tonight! I'm in southern BC.

200mm
f/13
1/400 sec.
ISO 250

Well, I think you could have done alright with your setup to be honest.

First, stop the lens down to its sharpest aperture, probably like f/8, maybe f/9.

Shutter speed will be like 1/125, for a good moon exposure anyway.

Next, enable mirror-lockup - not sure if your Rebel does this, my setting is in my 'custom functions' menu.

You'll want to manually focus while in live view (not sure if you can do this) where you can enlarge the area you want to focus on at 5x or 10x zoom on the screen. Then use the self timer to get a steady shot (or a release/remote).
Indeed, I shot at F/8 1/125 ISO 100, 300mm, Its just not as sharp as I would like it to be. I got same results as most people that posted here. I bumped the contrast a bit. I want the craters to be more sharp near the bottom right of the moon. Contrast may be too high but I like it. hehe

img8832m.jpg

Indeed, I shot at F/8 1/125 ISO 100, 300mm, Its just not as sharp as I would like it to be. I got same results as most people that posted here. I bumped the contrast a bit. I want the craters to be more sharp near the bottom right of the moon.

For crater detail wait til the moon wanes a bit and is lit a little more from the sides. A 100% full moon, like tonight, is the worst for crater/shadow detail.

Here's one I got the other night, the moon is about 94% full for this shot... see how there's only crater detail around the shadowy edge?
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/5011149518_25b7e97b1b_b.jpg
I think crescents look best..

I also think the moon is a good exercise for beginners - I know I learned a bit when trying a few times to make my moon photos look like some of the better ones I'd seen.

Indeed, I shot at F/8 1/125 ISO 100, 300mm, Its just not as sharp as I would like it to be. I got same results as most people that posted here. I bumped the contrast a bit. I want the craters to be more sharp near the bottom right of the moon.

For crater detail wait til the moon wanes a bit and is lit a little more from the sides. A 100% full moon, like tonight, is the worst for crater/shadow detail.

Here's one I got the other night, the moon is about 94% full for this shot... see how there's only crater detail around the shadowy edge?
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/5011149518_25b7e97b1b_b.jpg
I think crescents look best..

I also think the moon is a good exercise for beginners - I know I learned a bit when trying a few times to make my moon photos look like some of the better ones I'd seen.
Not just crater detail, just the general sharpness. Here is a link to a full moon like the one we shot, maybe slight darkness to the lower left but not much crater action there. Side by side you can clearly see the difference in sharpness. Compared to mine anyways.

http://stakimages.com/blog/moon.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back