First Newborn Portraits

Eveamlizya

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, this was my first time doing newborn photos. I made the wings myself and this is my daughter at 3 weeks old (would've done them at 2 weeks, but the weather was bad). I still need to practice editing to reduce the redness of her little newborn rash on her cheek...

$6.JPG
$10.JPG

I don't have a lot of critical help, but I would reshoot the second one. You can't see the face and her feet are chopped off... Baby feet are one of the cuter features of a newborn.

But if the second photo is to showcase the wings then it's doing a good job except for it being BW.

I would make sure you get the classic shots that are simple and timeless- her tiny features, wrinkly skin, baby cheeks and lips, etc while she's still tiny. Though I'm sure you spent a lot of time on the wings, they detract from the subject- your baby. Try to use a larger aperture to eliminate background distractions and shoot from her level.

If you use photoshop and are familiar with actions, google "nelly Nero" actions- they're free and the "baby skin cream" takes all the redness out of blotchy baby skin. (I run the action only until it tells me to paint the layer with a soft brush, then I merge those layers and copy and paste that onto the original image (running the action duplicates the image and original is untouched) and adjust opacity to my liking).

Congrats on your new arrival.

Thank you for your critiques, though, I didn't have a second pair of hands to position while I shot and she's quite the squirmy baby. The second pic I was trying to really get the wings and her cute little tooshy. She likes to kick so unfortunately, I couldn't get her feet right where I wanted them. She's 8 weeks old now so I can't retake, but I'll be doing her 3 month shots soon and I'm planning on a more classic look in nude/black/white with a few selective color shots in an outfit thrown in. I wanted to do something less traditional for her first photos though.

Here's the second photo in color...I prefer that shot in B&W but a lot of people don't. I'm just a B&W person I guess... I think I just find that sunshine spot less noticeable in B&W. It bothers me for some reason.
$11.JPG

Most reactions

Back