First Photo Job! Senior Pictures

With respect to those who have cultivated a knowledge base of photography, portraiture and/ or the visual arts in a more general sense, I disagree with the premise that choosing a horizontal orientation is indicative of beginner status or just flat out wrong.

An artist should never confine himself to compulsory rules set forth for him by other artists. Taking a portrait in a horizontal format is a perfectly valid choice. That someone would choose to do so does not denote him a beginner any more than choosing a vertical format denotes someone as an experienced professional. I find it bizarre that someone in a creative field would suggest otherwise.

If one wants to emphasize the vertical, fill the frame with the subject, go for a more traditional pose/ result - yes, of course, take that shot. If one wants to give context to the portrait with inclusion of the environment, isolate the subject with an asymmetrical balance of white space and subject - take that shot. There's no rule, folks. One is not more valid than the other.

A horizontally framed portrait is definitely a more current, contemporary take. It also tends to be less formal which holds appeal for many situations. There's a cinematic drama and familiarity to us as well - when was the last time you saw a movie shot in vertical orientation? We're accustomed to seeing in this format - television, film, computer monitors. All that said, there's no reason to discount shooting in a vertical orientation either. Stunning photos can be obtained in either format.

People who are new to image-making (and maybe not so new) should take shots in both orientations. Figure out from really looking, comparing, contrasting, to see what's working and what you and/ or others respond to aesthetically. Don't dismiss a horizontal composition out of hand because you fear it'll mean you're doing it wrong and you'll be branded with the amateur/ beginner/ wannabe tag.

johngap.jpg (image)

http://obamapacman.com/2010/01/anni...ibovitz-queen-elizabeth-ii-official-portrait/

http://peoplesforeignexchange.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/susan-sontag-annie-leibovitz.jpg

Art News | 'Annie Liebovitz ~ Women' on view at the Brevard Art Museum | Art Knowledge News

http://www.labdailyblog.com/wp-cont...hed-by-Annie-Leibovitz-for-Louis-Vuitton.jpeg

Johnny Depp by Annie Leibovitz - My Modern Metropolis

An artist should never confine himself to compulsory rules set forth for him by other artists. Taking a portrait in a horizontal format is a perfectly valid choice. That someone would choose to do so does not denote him a beginner any more than choosing a vertical format denotes someone as an experienced professional. I find it bizarre that someone in a creative field would suggest otherwise.

Wow, very nicely put.

With respect to those who have cultivated a knowledge base of photography, portraiture and/ or the visual arts in a more general sense, I disagree with the premise that choosing a horizontal orientation is indicative of beginner status or just flat out wrong.

If one wants to emphasize the vertical, fill the frame with the subject, go for a more traditional pose/ result - yes, of course, take that shot. If one wants to give context to the portrait with inclusion of the environment, isolate the subject with an asymmetrical balance of white space and subject - take that shot. There's no rule, folks. One is not more valid than the other.

A horizontally framed portrait is definitely a more current, contemporary take. It also tends to be less formal which holds appeal for many situations. There's a cinematic drama and familiarity to us as well - when was the last time you saw a movie shot in vertical orientation? We're accustomed to seeing in this format - television, film, computer monitors. All that said, there's no reason to discount shooting in a vertical orientation either. Stunning photos can be obtained in either format.

People who are new to image-making (and maybe not so new) should take shots in both orientations. Figure out from really looking, comparing, contrasting, to see what's working and what you and/ or others respond to aesthetically. Don't dismiss a horizontal composition out of hand because you fear it'll mean you're doing it wrong and you'll be branded with the amateur/ beginner/ wannabe tag.

johngap.jpg (image)

Queen Elizabeth II official portrait by Annie Leibovitz | Obama Pacman

http://peoplesforeignexchange.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/susan-sontag-annie-leibovitz.jpg

Art News | 'Annie Liebovitz ~ Women' on view at the Brevard Art Museum | Art Knowledge News

http://www.labdailyblog.com/wp-cont...hed-by-Annie-Leibovitz-for-Louis-Vuitton.jpeg

Johnny Depp by Annie Leibovitz - My Modern Metropolis

:thumbup::thumbup:

Oilersrock said:
IMO - If you want to show the whole body, show the whole body. If not, then don't. However, one thing you (and me) should remember is that for wedding photography, the subject should probably fill the whole frame. Also, remember, you're taking these shots for the client - not for the users of this forum. Talk to them and see what kind of photos they like. If they are the anti-Derrel and absolutely love horizontals and hate verticals, then go ahead and shoot horizontals. If they don't know what they like, get a good mix of both. It's all about the client.

Thank you very much! It's all up to her:) not me or anyone else:) Thanks!

I disagree.
Have her go to Sears portraits then.
Clients come to you for your style. Top photographers each have a style to their work, very seldom will they compromise that for the sake of what the client wants.

Last edited:
I can't speak for the others but my impression of newbies is that they search really hard for a rule or a technique to be their style and, to be perfectly honest, their abilities at composition aren't sufficiently developed to understand when to do what.

If we looked through pictures in the Beginner's Forum, I think we'd find lots of poorly done pictures in the name of 'style'; overdone vignettes, bad lighting, bad exposure, terrible post-processing, horrible composition - all in the name of creativity.
When someone starts to learn piano or any other art, they start with scales and learn to do the simple things first.

'Rules' are helpful because they constrain some efforts until more basic issues can be learned. I like beginners to think of taking portraits in portrait mode until they get exposure etc, working for them, then a little more complex composition can work into it - sort of the walk before running theory.

I feel you should charge, not alot prolly $50 for your time especially if she wants copies and decides to use your pic for the yearbook. The only reason I say charge is because you have to fund your photography someway and somehow. More true if you plan on getting serious about it.

Most reactions

Back