First Photo Job! Senior Pictures

Ok people.. Me and derrel butt heads all the time. Nothing to be alarmed about :). Derrel, unfortunately I have a full time job and father of triplets. Adding classes to my schedule is out of the question. But judging from the reactions from my clients and the number inquiries I get, I am pretty sure I have stepped up my game. I just watch other people's work and I take what I like. It is not an excuse but that's how I learn all of my photography knowledge by looking at other people's work. I take what I like.

Wow! I really am beginning to learn the people on this forum;)

ghache said:
I am sorry but from what ive seen from your webpage and Schwettylens website, you should start putting all that visual ART in your pictures because your clearly suck. i think you spent too much time in those major art school and your basement. you are pathetic.

Thanks,gash. I hope you get the last bit of sand out of your vag soon.

There's still a bed for you at the mental ward gash, whenever you want to come back!!! Toodles! **Cheek Pinch!** We all love yer' stuff, girl!!

your so amazing derrel. we still wanna see that amazing work of yours, If you preach, you better show what you preach. You and some other preacher here needs to get out of this website a little bit and some people on her should start to stop taking all your "advices" too seriously because the only thing you do is say the same **** over and over.

You are like the douche at the local baseball field who thinks he's barry bond but never made the majors.

okbyethx

Last edited:
Talk to them and see what kind of photos they like. If they are the anti-Derrel and absolutely love horizontals and hate verticals, then go ahead and shoot horizontals. If they don't know what they like, get a good mix of both. It's all about the client.

"Why, Signor Da Vinci, may I call you Leonardo? I must admit that I don't really enjoy the portrait you have painted of my wife, Lisa. I would prefer that it be wider and show some buildings or perhaps the courtyard of our lovely home. It does not fill the wall space I had planned for it, consequently I must ask you to redo it wider. Perhaps, to fill the space with some interest, you could add in our greyhounds playing in the courtyard?

Yours sincerely,

Francesco del Giocondo"

relax!

Firstly, I wouldn't charge it I were you. adding money into the equation changes everything. you will feel an incredible amount of pressure to give her the 'perfect' images and she will expect a lot more than if she weren't paying for it. if she isn't happy with what she gets, there won't be any hard feelings on either side. you might suggest that after she sees the photos if she wants to throw a hundred bucks your way that would be cool.

IMO once money is exchanged people get weird if they get a product their not happy with. if you're not confident that you can give her that i'd stay away from $$$.

gear-wise... if i'm not 100% sure of what i'll need i bring everything i got. literally. you might want to think about borrowing or renting a nicer lens if you can. those zoom lenses aren't going to give you the DoF that you'd want and the 50 isn't really a portrait lens.

I have no idea what started the personal attacks but thank you for not including me.

That being said, one doesn't have to be a better - or even good - photographer to have a sensible and worthwhile opinion about pictures. Fine art or movie critics certainly aren't expected to paint or create films as well as their subjects.

I have never shot a wedding - happily. And so I don't have to deal with the unpleasant or demanding or unhappy or unattractive people. I don't have to deal with shoehorning pictures into a book.
However, this isn't supposed to be critique based on external personal or business constraints.
But, from an artistic sense, even us non-wedding photographers can look at a shot and say whether we think it is good, bad or indifferent.

If a sports picture is blurry, it doesn't get a pass because the person was running veeeeeery fast or you had to sneeze
IMO, if you have to shoot a shot horizontal or in some way less than ideal because you need it, then show it here cropped the way you wish you could have used it or don't show it.

This is about art not pleasing a third party.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as personalities go, I have a good sense of only three people.

Derrel is incredibly opinionated, spares no one and is pretty straight. He will fight unceasingly for his opinions.
Bitter Jeweler is a pretty square guy, not above a nasty remark, but usually funny and doesn't seem to have a self-image problem.
Myself - I am quite opinionated but attempt to be honest without being cruel, don't care if people disagree as long as they make sense. -inevitably quite nasty when insulted.

There are a unfortunately long list of people who are terribly self-referential. I imagine that is because they feel insecure but that is pretty silly in this environment.
As long as one is straightforward, sincere, honest about their work and willing to listen to others, the care and attention one gets is exemplary.

remember the good old days when pictures used to be put into a book under a plastic cover. Anything bigger was just framed. Lol now making an album is like making a magazine.

As far as personalities go, I have a good sense of only three people.

Derrel is incredibly opinionated, spares no one and is pretty straight. He will fight unceasingly for his opinions.
Bitter Jeweler is a pretty square guy, not above a nasty remark, but usually funny and doesn't seem to have a self-image problem.
Myself - I am quite opinionated but attempt to be honest without being cruel, don't care if people disagree as long as they make sense. -inevitably quite nasty when insulted.

There are a unfortunately long list of people who are terribly self-referential. I imagine that is because they feel insecure but that is pretty silly in this environment.
As long as one is straightforward, sincere, honest about their work and willing to listen to others, the care and attention one gets is exemplary.

Dude! I am too hip to be square!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back