First photo on forum please C&C - Lonely Walk

Babarocks,

One more question?
As far as I am able to judge I can't see much if any editing going on in your photos, are they straight from your camera?

I can see in your comments on your site that you use a Canon 50D again evidence that it doesn't matter what you use but how it's been used!

Babarocks,

One more question?
As far as I am able to judge I can't see much if any editing going on in your photos, are they straight from your camera?

I can see in your comments on your site that you use a Canon 50D again evidence that it doesn't matter what you use but how it's been used!

On the "About Me" page of her website, she states "I prefer to photograph things as they are, and do as little processing as
possible." That would be further evidence of your observation.

She also states;
"I now use a Canon 50D, and have a variety of lenses to meet different challenges. My most recent purchase is a Canon Ef 100-400 which is my first telephoto lens."

I have just looked at your website and agree that it is very impressive. I am not surprised you are able to sell your photographs. You have a lot of very nice images. I especially like the simplicity of the "Voyager" photograph. :thumbup:

thanks folks, appreciate that. Felt a bit depressed reading earlier comments, and ended up feeling embarrassed and confused as to the standard of my work, and that it was a bit of a joke that I put a watermark on my stuff. Couldnt work out whether the comments were a bit harsh or if my work was not really as good as I felt it was . To answer an earlier comment, I didnt post on this forum hoping to have my ego stroked. I had mentioned to a friend that I had recently joined up with 500px and flickr, and that my photos were getting good feedback. He suggested that it might be useful to get some constructive criticism as well. This is the first site I found. And I decided to pick one of what I considered my "best" photos, and get some feedback. I hadnt realised there was a blue hue until it was pointed out to me. I accept that the photo is not technically good, and this is useful to know from the point of view of competitions and panel selection ( for qualifications ). I had intended including this shot on a panel for my Associateship in Photography in November I have taken any useful comments on board. But in reality I will probably never abide by the rules. Might have to sometimes though if I want to pass exams. I look through the viewfinder , and compose the shot until I like what i see, and click. Glad you like my other stuff though :)

I should add, that yes , my photos are pretty much straight from the camera. Alot are identical. I do sharpen everything, move the clarity, vibrance and saturation sliders up a bit ( to 10 max ). In photoshop then I always check the levels and adjust if necessary , and straighten the horizons. I like to keep things simple. Perhaps when and if I work out how to do photoshop I will use it more. With the camera itself, I take everything in AV priority mode, and have never used Manual. thanks again for your compliments :)

I liked much of your landscape shots. Your cityscapes I didn't feel very much, though.

But I agree on the notion that the one you posted here isn't your strongest image.

One of many shots I like from Babarocks collection..!

Voyager
"Mum, look at the moon !! You must get a photograph".
My ten year old son, Annraoi was anxious that I captured the lovely moon that evening as we drove home from school. However, it was dinnertime, and no dinner on the table. Hmmm..... I threw my stuff into the car and made a quick trip out to the Boyne Estuary at Mornington, and then headed a few kilometres further up along the coast to Laytown where I took this shot of the moon and "Voyager". Home again before 6, and all fed and happy within the hour.."

November 10th 2011 at 5.30 pm approx
Canon EOS 50D, Canon zoom lens 17-40mm @17mm, f6.3, 30s, iso 100

Voyager-IMG_7675%5B1%5D.jpg

-

Well I could CC the image, if only I could see it behind the watermark...

Just kidding ;) though it really is quite distracting. I like the photo, but the statues don't really add very much to it for me. I almost think it would have looked better without them.

Last edited:
babarocks, I havn't looked at your site yet, but have read through the comments on this page... First I have to say, there are parts of the image I liked and fewer parts I didn't like. I really enjoyed the color and cool, calm feeling of the photograph. Some say there is lack of composition here, but I can see it a bit. Sure the diagonal lines don't really lead you to anything but they certainly make the photograph more interesting than only vertical or horizontal lines. It seems as if your subject may be the statues and they are gazing down the path that the lines lead us to (which may admittedly be nothing more than a building that is hard to make out since it is so far down). Even if you don't look to much into the photo other than to glance, it is a nice cityscape/landscape with great color.

Secondly, you are a bit of a rarity to the forum. I think some of the feedback was just a bit harsh for the photo you posted, especially compared to some of the feedback others get on 'lesser' photos. Even with that, you didn't get on the defensive and strike at everyone. You took the criticism, acknowledged it, and remained civilized. THAT is a rarity and great character, so kudos. BTW, I will be checking out your other photos and I may have some questions for you in the future about certain aspects of your photos if you don't mind.

Thankyou MJ for your comments and advice, much appreciated. Glad you like the photo, and your observations are interesting to read.

To give a little bit of background to the shot. This Famine Memorial has been shot a zillion times over, and it is the same image more or less that we see each time. This memorial is comprised of about 10 statues in total, and they are always photographed from the front, head on. I wanted to single out 2 of the figures to have a more intimate feel to my image. People have commented that they dont like to see the backs of statues . I wanted them from this angle ( the back )for 2 reasons... Firstly, to capture the lovely light in the sky. Secondly, and quite significantly, there is a replica of the "Jeanie Johnson" docked further downstream. The Jeanie Johnson is one of the famine ships that carried the desperate emigrants to America during the Great Famine in Ireland (1844-1848 ). If you look closely , you can see this ship on the left-hand side down the river. So , I wanted to capture these two lonely figures walking towards the Jeanie Johnson, towards hope.

I too found the feedback a bit harsh .

Thankyou again for your input on this thread. It is much appreciated, and please feel free to ask me about any aspect of my work.

Kind regards, Eimhear

It is against the rules of the Forum to post others' work without explicit permission.

Who says I don't have explicit permission Traveler!
Phfff... living by the rules is so boring and it will restrict creativity no it kills it!

I see that most posters here are slaughtered when they ask for C&C just because of these so called rules!
Maybe you should let go and be brave amaze your self and others by producing something organic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back