First photo with DSLR.. ever!

Ediacol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally got my camera, and decided to go with a Canon t2i.

This is the first photo I took earlier today, the sun was on it's way down and was limited to just my apartments.. I'm think it's okay for a first try right? I know it doesn't have a story and all that jazz but what do you guys think? Tomorrow I will go out and practice some more.

6894415633_94bee5e104_z.jpg

Very nice for a first-ever shot. Probably much better than my first (but that was 40+ years ago so I don't really remember).

It is a full stop underexposed though. Kick the exposure up a full stop in post processing and watch what happens. I think you'll like it.

Very nice for a first-ever shot. Probably much better than my first (but that was 40+ years ago so I don't really remember).

It is a full stop underexposed though. Kick the exposure up a full stop in post processing and watch what happens. I think you'll like it.

What exactly do you mean by kicking it up a full stop. Where is the done on the camera? or is that a combination of adjusting aperture, shutter and ISO?

Sorry I am a noob...

What I meant was to increase the exposuse one full stop since the photograph is underexposed. It is a function of adjusting shutter speed, aperture and/or ISO when the shot is taken or by lightening it up during post processing.

6894563413_c2ceff9d3d_z.jpg

How about now?

I think he meant in post-processing.. I use lightroom and did .80 I thought a full 1.00 was a little too bright?

What exactly do you mean by kicking it up a full stop. Where is the done on the camera? or is that a combination of adjusting aperture, shutter and ISO?

Sorry I am a noob...

Purchase the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

How about now?

I think he meant in post-processing.. I use lightroom and did .80 I thought a full 1.00 was a little too bright?

Better, but you should always strive for proper exposure in-camera. Relying on PP to 'save' a shot is a poor way to shoot.

How about now?

Better, but you should always strive for proper exposure in-camera. Relying on PP to 'save' a shot is a poor way to shoot.

I agree! this is my first time ever picking up a DSLR lol I've been reading the manual and everything so hopefully tomorrow is better!

I agree! this is my first time ever picking up a DSLR lol I've been reading the manual and everything so hopefully tomorrow is better!

Learn how to read histograms......... if your camera can display them.

How about now?

Yeah! See how those blooms popped out?

This is the one I corrected before I posted. It's 1 full stop exposure compensation.

6894415633_94bee5e104_z.jpg

480sparky said:
Purchase the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

I second this!!

looks great! once you learn how to use your meter it will be easier to properly expose in camera :) keep clicking away :D

paigew said:
looks great! once you learn how to use your meter it will be easier to properly expose in camera :) keep clicking away :D

Thanks!! :)

Most reactions

Back