First photo with DSLR.. ever!

just think of how good your second shot is going to be

p!nK

What exactly do you mean by kicking it up a full stop. Where is the done on the camera? or is that a combination of adjusting aperture, shutter and ISO?

Sorry I am a noob...

Purchase the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

I second this. I borrowed this book from my library and it was a VERY good read!

Very nice for a first-ever shot. Probably much better than my first (but that was 40+ years ago so I don't really remember).

It is a full stop underexposed though. Kick the exposure up a full stop in post processing and watch what happens. I think you'll like it.

What exactly do you mean by kicking it up a full stop. Where is the done on the camera? or is that a combination of adjusting aperture, shutter and ISO?

Sorry I am a noob...
A stop is a doubeling or a halving of an amount.

You can make a 1 stop change in shutter speed, or a 1 stop change in lens aperture, or a 1 stop change in ISO.

Or you can make a 1/3 stop change in each of those 3 to total a 1 stop change, or a 1/2 stop change in just 2 of the 3.

For shutter speed and ISO - just times 2 or divide by 2. If you used 1/200 for the shutter speed, 1/100 will give you twice as much light (a stop), because the shutter is open twice as long (1 stop more light), and 1/400 will give you 1/2 as much light (1 stop less light), because the shutter is open for 1/2 as long.

For lens aperture it's a bit more complicated because the area and not the diameter of the aperture is involved, so we have to multiply or divide by the square root of 2 - 1.4142 - instead of 2.

So if you want a stop more light by changing the lens aperture, you would change from say - f/8 to f/5.6, or from f/16 to f/11. (5.6 x 1.4142 = 8 ....:banghead: ARG! Math and Fractions )

Which of the 3 exposure triad settings, or combination of, you choose to change depends on what motion stopping (shutter speed), focus (depth-of-field or lens aperture), or image noise (ISO) considerations you have for your photo.

Sorry I am a noob...

Purchase the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

I went and bought this book last night. Awesome!!

Most reactions

Back