first photos and editing attempts

sneakypete

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi friends! I have been poking around the last few days and worked up enough courage to post something of my own and see if maybe you can lead this horse to water.

soooo, I bought my first "real" camera last week. LX100. I really want to learn proper techniques as I'm going to be a dad in a few weeks and would like to capture some worthwhile keepers! I've been reading the **** out of the internet the past month or so and feel like I am becoming more confident with at least the exposure triangle. I also purchased a thorough book on the LX100 that I am going through so I know where to find all these useful features (e.g. spot metering, etc)

Like I said, I got the camera and LR5 last week and it's been snowing like crazy so I haven't gone out exploring with it yet. This is my very early attempt at photography and editing.

Please feel free to lay into me. I can take it!

snow backyard (1 of 1) by floppypickles, on Flickr
f8, 400sec, ISO200

Editing looks to be fine, but theres not much in the photo to draw anyones interest.

I agree. I think the post processing is nice but the scene doesn't have much in the way of a definitive subject matter. If there were a pathway through the woods, it would be more interesting. The viewer could wonder "where does that path go?" Alternatively, if there was a clearing all the way to the horizon and you had the Sun rise or setting there, it would have quite a mystical feel. I just don't get that sense with this image. It's a clearing in the trees but other than that, there's no visual impact.

To increase interest the picture has been taken standing up an idea maybe would have been to get lower down and move closer to those bushes/branches on the right so they create a frame to the right of the picture.

From an editing point of view I would say the sky is a little blue with a little cloud. You could remove the cloud and give a clear blue sky to contrast the snow.

thanks, people. yeah, I should have been more clear about lack of composition. this is my backyard taken from the nursery window. I just got the camera and it's been snowing like crazy so I grabbed the shot with just exposure, focus, etc in mind.

there is some visual impact to me as it's my property. I'm sorry for not explaining that. I felt I was getting too wordy in that first post.

since this is all so new to me and I am shooting in manual, exposure and controls are my highest concerns. hoping to get to know the camera so when I get some free time I can take advantage of those more eye catching angles and subjects.

good call on the clouds, maybe I can play with that more, although I think I'll run into problems in lightroom on the areas where clouds overlap into the tree branches.

You got a good camera with the purpose of taking pics of your impending family. Focus on that and not get stressed about "keepers". You will have a whole lot else to worry about quite soon.
The pics you posted are ok (I would ease off on the sharpening tool a bit).
Take a gazillion pics of baby sneakypete and bore everyone rigid with those pics, its your duty as a new parent to do so.
Enjoy

First photos and editing... Amazing. Many steps above what I was doing at first. Editing is great. not over done like many do. Nice.. clear.. well exposed and snow can be tuff. One of the basics is to keep an even horizon unless you wanted it for that effect. on the first shot it looks to be tilted a bit. quick fix in Lr. As for landscape stuff its good to have a for/mid/ background. Just missing the forground. Bush, branch, rock, dead racoon etc..works.
The more you learn about different types of shooting. the better you will shoot. This is a good place to learn it all.

Exposure and editing are fine, composure is lacking. Nothing of interest unfortunately. Keep it up though, you look like you have an abundance of things to shoot and great scenery, keep taking advantage of it.

i dont even really want to be friends with any of you from now on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back