Ahhh, I remember taking my camera out for the first time and feeling so completely overwhelmed... I didn't even know it had a light meter on it or what it was for...LOL... I'm going to save you a tremendous amount of time by recommending the three things that have helped me to grow as a photographer... 1) Surfing and participating in this site. I have learned so much about photography through participation on here. 2) My other photography website,
DPChallenge - A Digital Photography Contest
This site has weekly challenges, and this site will really help you to develop your eye and technique. A word of warning though, participating in this site requires some really thick skin because people are brutally honest. This honesty however, will provide the catalyst for your improvement... last but not least, 3) Buy the book "The Digital Photography Book, Volume 1" by Scott Kelby. Hands down the best book I have found that is concise and to the point. This book is a must for beginner to advanced photographer.
Lastly, keep shooting, there is no substitute for field experience. Good luck and keep posting...
Oh yeah, almost forgot, C&C. Picture 1, the lighting is okay, but the subject is centered and the top of the subject, the bottle, is cut off. All of the clutter is also distracting on the top of what looks like a fridge. What looks like the thermostat is also somewhat distracting too.
The second photo is honestly quite rough. The focus is okay, but the lighting is poor. I'm guessing you used the onboard camera flash, which is never sufficient for shots like this. What you would need is natural light, or an off camera flash that you could bounce off the ceiling. If you don't have an off camera flash, try opening up a window and letting in some natural sunlight. Be careful of your backgrounds, both pictures have very distracting backgrounds. I still struggle with this myself. Lastly, when photographing animals and humans, focus on the eyes. Well, that's about all I can cram in here, hopefully that will help alittle. Photography was very overwhelming for me as I knew nothing when I started. So if you have any questions, fire away, there's always people lurking around here willing to help