TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lancewilkinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's what I consider to be my best as of right now:

vHT9d.jpg

Taken with D40. Spontaneous, rapid fire as wildlife often calls for (especially mid-air!)

1ooi5.jpg

D40 again, best one I could get with the light I had.

DQ5NJ.jpg

This one is old, taken with a Sony Cybershot 5.1 point-and-shoot.

All pictures have gone through photoshop somewhat, mostly for a few touches of Color Burn. The guitar I did minor fixing of edges (it's not a 1000$ guitar, so I was digitally fixing errors in the manufacturing of the guitar). Seagull was a few filters.

Let me know what you think, good and bad!

A question I do have for everyone; what's your opinion on photoshopping pics? I love when a picture comes out perfect but it's a one in a million chance. I try not to change them too much, just bring out colors more vividly (which is what good filters will do anyways). Just curious!

Thanks!

-Lance

EDIT: Sorry for the large images! Hope no one has 56k still. :\

Last edited:
Great pics overall.

Clear and in focus. Composition is good on them all. However, watch your horizons as #3 seems to slope down to the left.

Photoshop is your digital dark room... burning and dodging are things that were done in the dark room back in the film days, so no reason why you can't use software to enhance pictures.

You nailed the bird, stunning shot there.

what were your settings for the bird? I'm taking in all the info I can get with my new D40:D

Photosoto - It was completely automatic! I just put it on auto and fired away.

I don't have the RAW anymore, unfortunately, that got lost in the computer switch a month ago or so. Here's what I could get:

Rh21F.jpg

It was an extremely bright, hot day. I was on the ferry to Martha's Vineyard.

Great bird shot, actually they are all nice. I haven't figured out moving birds in the sky yet and you got it on auto. I'm jealous.

Bird exif
[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/320"
F Number = F9
Exposure Program = Not defined
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2008-07-15 16:20:35
Date Time Digitized = 2008-07-15 16:20:35
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Compressed Bits Per Pixel = 4
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Max Aperture Value = F4.44
Metering Mode = Pattern
Light Source = unknown
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 34mm

Thanks for the kind words!

The key to birds is this: find ones that will eat from your hand while flying. That translates to seagulls and probably pelicans in the more populated areas of Florida/the south.

That guy was following the boat and eating pretzels out of my left hand, which I shopped out of the shot.

Also, what is an RoT?

i am very impressed with your shots esp the first one.. very clear, very fine and very soothing to the eyes.. two thumbs up! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back