first picture post

kornelius said:
That's great! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely try to crop this picture a little differently. I did take it with on camera flash because I don't have any lighting and the light in the bathroom wasn't bright enough. Should I have lit up more of the rest of her?
Was it built-in or a shoe-mount?

Sorry, i should have cleared that up... it was shoe mount... what's falloff?

kornelius said:
Sorry, i should have cleared that up... it was shoe mount... what's falloff?
Thanks!

Actually, that's usually used to mean that the image can be darker at the edge of a lens, but I meant that as the light gets further from the flash, the weaker it is. The falloff is for every doubling of distance, the light is only 1/4 as powerful, so light strength falls off quick.

Because of this, you get a more even light the farther you are from the source, but you need a strong source. With the flash so close, the parts nearest the flash get a harsh highlight, but it doesn't take long for the light to get really dim, as it is near the water. Her neck and legs are what's exposed well. This is another reason for using a longer lens and getting up on a ladder, so that you are further away from her.

That first one is terrific, the ladies expression, her attitude and the overall composition makes me extremely envious.

Most reactions

Back