first picture post

kornelius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm brand new to this forum and quite new to photography. Any comments would help.
33%3A34%3A9523232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D558%3D4%3B3%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B%3A%3C98836ot1lsi

33%3A34%3A9523232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D558%3D4%3B3%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B%3A%3C98837ot1lsi

dude, you've already got two hot models, so you ain't doing too bad ;)

the first photo irks me because you croped her head out. It irks quite a bit because everything else looks pretty darn good!!! I look the pose, the look and the colours and the sensuality. I am guessing you have some more nude shots that you are not sharing?? ;) Don't hold out on us mate!! :D. Despite the crop, i am really drawn to this photo.

Number 2 is a fine shot, can't find too much to comment on here :)

I like the angles you've taken in both of the photos, the photo one you've shot looking down, the last one you shot looking up. It definately gives the pictures a completely different story that your tradition eye-level photographic.

Oh, if you can tell us the gear you are using mate and any technical info such as shutterspeed, f/stop, whether used a trip and the phone numbers of the girls... ;)

I would have never guessed you were new to photographer with these shots. Awesome work mate!

I agree with Mark about the crop on the first one. If you come in tight on the other three sides I think it would be less noticable, but it's still a bit drastic. I don't have any qualms about cropping into heads, but it's usually only for tight portraits.

Other than that, I think they are damn good pics! No on-camera flash. Yay!

I had to crop the first one because her forehead looked unusually large... maybe I should try showing a little more. I used my canon t90 with fujichrome velvia slide film at the program setting because I am quite the amateur. For the second one I used a medium format with a Ilford film... again set on program mode. As for the phone numbers... one girls taken and the other one's fifteen... sorry.
Thanks for the feedback.

kornelius said:
I had to crop the first one because her forehead looked unusually large.
Yeah, that's the danger of using a wide-angle lens for people pics. Using at least 50mm would eliminate that, but it can be hard in a cramped space like a bathroom. Could you post the full pic? If you at least had all of the eyebrow in I think it would help.

I have to agree with the others about the tight crop on the head, but other than that... Wonderful composition! I especially like the 2nd one, just hits a chord with me! :thumbsup:

kornelius said:
I used my canon t90 with fujichrome velvia slide film at the program setting because I am quite the amateur. For the second one I used a medium format with a Ilford film... again set on program mode.

Man I dont know any newbies to photography that talk like that or use Slide film starting out - you may need to give yourself more credit the way these shots look.

I would love to give myself more credit however the top picture is actually only the second roll of slide film I have ever used and I think I just fluked out... the second one was shot with the medium format that I used for the first time in my life... I think that was a fluke too. But suddenly I'm more confident!!! This is a lot different than having your friends and family say they like your picture because they have to.

kornelius said:
This is a lot different than having your friends and family say they like your picture because they have to.
Heh. I know exactly what you mean. It wasn't until my peers started giving me compliments, some of them people who didn't have qualms trashing work they didn't like, that I started to get confident in my work being more than just self-gratification.

It looks like you have an eye that puts you ahead of the curve. A beginner's eye is usually "instinct". I put that in quotes because I don't think it's the same as salmon swimming upstream to mate. It's more unconscious choices based on observations made throughout your life. The trick is to get those decisions to be conscious ones so that you can get the results you want consistantly.

It's hard to say from only two images, and some of it might have to do with the models, but this is not what I would have expected from someone just starting out. My guess is that those decisions are much closer to the surface for you than they are for most people begining.

You say you are an amateur but.... honestly.... you make me look like I don't know anything at all and I have been interested in photography for a few years. I'm not saying that I do know a lot because I consider myself an amateur but you are light years a head of me.

markc said:
I agree with Mark about the crop on the first one. If you come in tight on the other three sides I think it would be less noticable, but it's still a bit drastic. I don't have any qualms about cropping into heads, but it's usually only for tight portraits.

No on-camera flash. Yay!

I agree with MarkC that #1 might work better with a tighter crop. Even cropping the bottom, almost making a pano or moviescreen shot seems to help. I like the pose, how she's all curled up. My eyes focus on her eyes, drift down the shoulder, around the back, follow the lower arm, and travel back up to her eyes. And there is nothing else in the picture to distract from the main subject.

You'll have to get on a step ladder or chair and reshoot this one at a longer focal length (this should take care of the forehead distortion you noticed). Also by getting up and above I think you can isolate the model more with the water as a background, possibly using the tub sides to frame, or even eliminate them all together.

This looks like it has an on-camera flash to me? Or it's at least very close to the camera. I'd like to see the light coming more from one side or the other. You might need a reflector (anything white) to bounce some light back into the face if the light comes from behind her. Although I'm sure Velvia would be very orange, it might be interesting to shoot this lit with the regular bathroom lighting (unless it's florescent).

Also like the pose on #2 and how the model's shoulders frame and provide a nice, almost symmetrical base . It's low contrast for my taste. I would like to see the face lit up a little more. And the top is blown out; I need something up there even if it's just some darkening.

Keep shooting and keep posting.

That's great! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely try to crop this picture a little differently. I did take it with on camera flash because I don't have any lighting and the light in the bathroom wasn't bright enough. Should I have lit up more of the rest of her?

ksmattfish said:
This looks like it has an on-camera flash to me? Or it's at least very close to the camera.
I'd be curious to know that, too, as a test of my eye. The shadow is far enough away from the girl that I think it's at least not a built-in flash, but it might be one mounted on a hot-shoe. The edge isn't tack-sharp, so I'm guessing a diffuser was used. It's at least not looking like a typical point-and-shoot flash shot, which is what I meant earlier, though it does have some harsh highlights and a quick falloff.

I'd like to see the light coming more from one side or the other. You might need a reflector (anything white) to bounce some light back into the face if the light comes from behind her. Although I'm sure Velvia would be very orange, it might be interesting to shoot this lit with the regular bathroom lighting (unless it's florescent).

Also like the pose on #2 and how the model's shoulders frame and provide a nice, almost symmetrical base . It's low contrast for my taste. I would like to see the face lit up a little more. And the top is blown out; I need something up there even if it's just some darkening.

Oh yeah. Spot on there, I think.

Most reactions

Back