first pictures from my film camera!

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First successful roll of film to go through the Nikon FE. It was Kodak Ultramax 400 film, 24exp and I used a Nikkor 50mm f/2 for all of these, and usually stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8.

So I had the lab develop them straight to a CD. Wasn't sure what to expect but I'm kinda happy with the results and plan to shoot film more often.

Not really looking for C&C since these were mostly test shots, but I wanted to share and hopefully help stir up some interest for film. It was really exciting to see the pictures.. not used to that (with the instant preview and all).

5116518184_4ca070dfb0_b.jpg

5116518938_f30670a2ac_b.jpg

5116521066_fd622211b9_b.jpg

5115918387_61ca556b5b_b.jpg

5115917477_952f5f084b_b.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

Last edited:
Pretty awesome, i would have been happy with the results myself. Very sharp though on my screen. I love the third picture because of the softness around and all focus on the little girl. Great colors on the last shot too, must be exciting to take pics through the film camera.

must be exciting to take pics through the film camera.

It's pretty neat and I bet it's 10x better if you're developing the images yourself as well. I really feel like I've been missing out and can't wait to shoot more film!

Thanks for your compliments.. I like the third shot as well and I like the cool tones I got (from the sun dipping behind a cloud (at least I think that's where it came from).

I went from film to digital, so I know what you mean. Picking up the photos what ultra exiting. You do loose some of that with instant previews.

I just wish it wasn't so cost prohibitive. My unemployed full-time student self can't afford film, lol.

My sister has a Pentax K1000 that's her first SLR. She's shot two rolls but hasn't developed the film yet. I swear I'm more exited to see them than she is, lol.

Nice shots. I really like the one with the girl and the train car. The one with the barn makes a good landscape, also. The girl on the beach would have been better if you had moved the camera to the right some so we could see what was so shocking to her (or at least more of that side of the frame anyway).

Kudos.

First successful roll of film to go through the Nikon FE. It was Kodak Ultramax 400 film, 24exp and I used a Nikkor 50mm f/2 for all of these, and usually stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8.

So I had the lab develop them straight to a CD. Wasn't sure what to expect but I'm kinda happy with the results and plan to shoot film more often.

Not really looking for C&C since these were mostly test shots, but I wanted to share and hopefully help stir up some interest for film. It was really exciting to see the pictures.. not used to that (with the instant preview and all).

5116518184_4ca070dfb0_b.jpg

5116518938_f30670a2ac_b.jpg

5116521066_fd622211b9_b.jpg

5115918387_61ca556b5b_b.jpg

5115917477_952f5f084b_b.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

These a nice. how do like that FE? I bought one about 3 weeks ago in mint condition and it is AWESOME. I love how not complicated they are to work with. Meetering is also DEAD ON pretty much all the time. I went to shoot downtown ottawa last week and got alot of questions and "wierd look", People seems to be interested and older people seems to remember these type of camera by the look of it, especially the silver/black

if you plan on shooting alot with film, you should consider a flatbed scanner for your negatives, its going to pay for itself really quickly. considering here in canada at walmart, costed me 9.99 + taxe to get the negs and a cd.

keep your eyes open for film deal on local ads,
I was lucky enough to find 150 roll of 6 month old expired film for 40 $ on kijiji. its some kodak 200 gold but at 25 cent a roll i wont complain. Most people keep them in a fridge enyway

I got myself a epson v500 and i am reallly happy with the result. The only thing you have to watch is the stupid dust on the film before scanning it.

Last edited:
These a nice. how do like that FE? I bought one about 3 weeks ago in mint condition and it is AWESOME. I love how not complicated they are to work with. Meetering is also DEAD ON pretty much all the time. I went to shoot downtown ottawa last week and got alot of questions and "wierd look", People seems to be interested and older people seems to remember these type of camera by the look of it, especially the silver/black

I love it. My favorite thing by far is using the split prism to focus and having a big viewfinder - 2 things I'd like in a digital (Derrel showed my how to put a split prism focus screen in my T2i but it's over $100 :().

Thanks for your advice about the film and scanning. I have a scanner I'll have to figure out how to use it properly. With the negatives.

Nice shots. I really like the one with the girl and the train car. The one with the barn makes a good landscape, also. The girl on the beach would have been better if you had moved the camera to the right some so we could see what was so shocking to her (or at least more of that side of the frame anyway).

Kudos.

She wasn't shocked, just making funny faces. I really can never get her to sit still. The only reason you can see her face in the one by the water is because she looked up when a dog barked. I kept calling her name asking her to look at the camera and noooo. Thx to that dog for helping a guy out.

Really appreciate the comments everyone!

I love it. My favorite thing by far is using the split prism to focus and having a big viewfinder - 2 things I'd like in a digital (Derrel showed my how to put a split prism focus screen in my T2i but it's over $100 :().

Thanks for your advice about the film and scanning. I have a scanner I'll have to figure out how to use it properly. With the negatives.

Kudos.

She wasn't shocked, just making funny faces. I really can never get her to sit still. The only reason you can see her face in the one by the water is because she looked up when a dog barked. I kept calling her name asking her to look at the camera and noooo. Thx to that dog for helping a guy out.

Really appreciate the comments everyone!

deffinetly i cool thing, and it works so well.

What i do, when i think my focus is good, i move my camera up and down a little bit to see if the lines are alligned, if its slighly out of focus you will notice it

it gives off that film feeling really nice!

I used to have a Nikon FE...it was a really nice camera. I always liked the match-needle light metering and the way the AiS coupling tab could be flipped up to use pre-AI lenses, which in the early 1980's were all over the place! There's one thing that will help your film shooting on these direct-to-CD shoots, and that is a polarizing filter. It's almost like doing a White Balance with digital...color negative film just looks "better" when shot outdoors with a polarizer on. I always liked the 50mm f/2 lenses that were concurrent with the FE and FM era. Really good-looking images at f/5.6 with that lens.

I did read somewhere that the FE is actually going at 1/4000th on auto even if nikon advertised it at 1/1000 and shutter can stay open for ALOT more than 8 sec. I am currently shopping for a FE2, this **** is getting addictive.

I think the FE2 had a shutter speed of 1/4000. I believe that such a high speed would screw up you photos if it was metering for 1/1000 and actually shooting at 1/4000. I still have my FE and it is a great camera, mine came with a 1.8 Series E lens.

Did you over-expose them on purpose? Maybe its just my old eyes, or this craptop I'm using... But they pretty much all look over-exposed to me.

The compositions are pretty good for the most part I think.

But you are correct... Gives me an itch to get out my old Elan II and shoot a roll or two. :)

Did you over-expose them on purpose? Maybe its just my old eyes, or this craptop I'm using... But they pretty much all look over-exposed to me.

:(

It's the meter. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't work right. It seems to meter high too... I should probably set it to 800 next time I shoot a roll of 400.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back