First portraits - wouldn't mind some feedback (C&C please)

classixuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I was here. I got my first DSLR (Canon 600D) in January and promptly joined this forum and began reading books etc. get myself educated in the basics of photography. I said at the time that I'd never ask for C&C or post anything until I felt it was something I could feel a bit confident about posting for my first C&C.

Well, today (you only had to wait 8 months LOL!) I felt that I took some shots that show improvement (finally). All 3 portraits (one retro, one fun/expressive, one formal traditional style) were shot using a nifty fifty, f-stop 2.8, A/V Priority. Lighting was just a window and a portable foldaway reflector kit. Back ground ... well, I didn't have one so I improvised and used a projector screen.

Although I'm pleased with them (they are the first shots I have decided not to delete straight away upon seeing them) I do wish I could have found some lighting as there are shadows I'm not particularly fond of from the session. Other than that though, I await your feedback. Thanks so much in advance!

:)

Attachments

• $boptimised.jpg
    $boptimised.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 149
  • $eoptimised.jpg
    $eoptimised.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 154
  • $goptimised.jpg
    $goptimised.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 148
The lighting in the first one is my favorite. How were these ladies positioned in relation to the window? Were there other light sources?

Hi Jen,
Thanks for your reply. The window was to the left of us and we waited until after 2pm to avoid as many shadows as possible (plus the fact that if I use my diffuser it means I have nothing to keep my reflectors rigid :( ).
Other lighting - yes - there was over head daylight tubes which I probably should mentioned (like an office ceiling). Other than that though, all shots were simply using the light from the window and my reflector to bounce light back into the shadows.
I really MUST invest in some portable, easy to store lighting though. I can see why a simple soft box would have been great today as it would have freed up my reflector and given me more opportunities to get creative. :)
P.S. My favourite is the first one too.

C&C per req:

1. Really like the lighting and expression here, but I wish that it had been shot in portrait aspect so we could see a little more of her. Regardless, a nice, strong shot.

2. Okay, but the pose and expression scream "trying too hard" to me.

3. The eyes are just a tad dark; a little more fill would have nailed it. Unfortunately, your DoF was just a bit too shallow; her right shoulder and nose are in sharp focus, but it falls off quickly around her eyes. F5.6 was probably more where you should have been.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:

1. Really like the lighting and expression here, but I wish that it had been shot in portrait aspect so we could see a little more of her. Regardless, a nice, strong shot.

2. Okay, but the pose and expression scream "trying too hard" to me.

3. The eyes are just a tad dark; a little more fill would have nailed it. Unfortunately, your DoF was just a bit too shallow; her right shoulder and nose are in sharp focus, but it falls off quickly around her eyes. F5.6 was probably more where you should have been.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know where I could have improved with these.

Regarding number 1 - I really could have kicked myself - I got so carried away posing her that I shot the entire sequence in landscape - this is something I keep doing unfortunately :( I'm thrilled that you said it was a nice strong shot though, regardless of my error. Means a lot and spurs me on to do better.

Model number 2 was a lesson - she was stiff - very stiff. I had to get a fan out of the cupboard and told her "every time you giggle I will blast you with this fan! Be warned" and of course that loosened her up into a fit of giggles. So I switched the fan on high speed and literally began shooting there and then. It seemed that when the fan was on her "as a punishment" she was able to loosen up, relax and play the game. Any tips for this in the future from you guys would be most appreciated!

I totally know what you mean about model number 3. I will set up some test shots and follow what you said so I can see the results. Again though, I'd love some advice on how to get people to open their eyes more for the camera? This model had 2 looks with her eyes - the one you see and then crazy wide-eyed possessed woman. There was no inbetween. What do you do in those situations? Should I have taken a few shots of her looking up towards the camera to widen the eyes without it looking like a stare?

Thanks again for your advice and support everyone. :)

The second one is REALLY unflattering to her rather large black blob of an arm.
The first one is really a gorgeous shot! Is there some photoshop work around her finger? Something's not right there or at her nose. Really not right at the nose. Be careful of looking up someone's nostrils.
The third looks awesome in small size. At full size the skin smoothing is not even around her nose and mouth especially. Her arm really gives you away on the skin smoothing. The eye to our left looks like it was warped in the liquify tool. Rather disproportionate with the other eye. There seems to be some type of photoshop work to the chest/line of the blouse closest to us and the shoulder.

The first one is really a gorgeous shot! Is there some photoshop work around her finger? Something's not right there or at her nose. Really not right at the nose. Be careful of looking up someone's nostrils.
The third looks awesome in small size. At full size the skin smoothing is not even around her nose and mouth especially. Her arm really gives you away on the skin smoothing. The eye to our left looks like it was warped in the liquify tool. Rather disproportionate with the other eye. There seems to be some type of photoshop work to the chest/line of the blouse closest to us and the shoulder.

Hi Mleek - the model in number 2, whilst being stiff, is really happy with her size (she's also 7 months pregnant). She showed me previous photos that she liked of herself on her phone, and I could see that her size isn't an issue for her so I was OK with that.

In the first shot there is some slight photoshop on the finger to remove a paper cut, but the nose is all her own LOL. The third model's eyes were almost photoshopped (her left eye is larger than the right) but I didn't want to make it 'not look like her' so didn't bother. I do need to look a bit more into photoshop though so I can build more confidence.

Thanks. :)

All are quite nice.

#1 Absolutely wonderful lighting. I agree that it would show better if it were in portrait format.
#2 Raised arm blocks light to her neck and face.
#3 Hard shadows on face.

Hi Mleek - the model in number 2, whilst being stiff, is really happy with her size (she's also 7 months pregnant). She showed me previous photos that she liked of herself on her phone, and I could see that her size isn't an issue for her so I was OK with that.

In the first shot there is some slight photoshop on the finger to remove a paper cut, but the nose is all her own LOL. The third model's eyes were almost photoshopped (her left eye is larger than the right) but I didn't want to make it 'not look like her' so didn't bother. I do need to look a bit more into photoshop though so I can build more confidence.

Thanks. :)
It's not her size that's the problem. The arm is huge in proportion to the rest of the image. It's a perspective thing, not a size thing.

The third's eye that is larger in the photo is her right, not her left.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back