First Post!! Gothic Inspired Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, take a LOOK AT YOUR PHOTOS. Take a look at them yourself with your own eyes. Your white balance is all over the place, you have people with magenta skin tones (shots 2 & 6). You've got people with hot-spots on their faces from the harsh light (shots 1 & 4 and to a lesser extent #3). In shot 5 the skin is so white it looks like chalk. These are things that you can control, and you have been given some good advice here as to how to do that.

Leave if you will but keep this in mind: We aren't your friends and family, and the comments weren't rude they were true. There are a lot of very talented photographers on this board, many who are full-time professional photographers. We see shots every single day of the year from people of every conceivable level of ability. If we sugar-coat it and tell you those shots are great when they aren't then we would not be honest. Your shots have some level of promise in them but they need a lot of work. If you want honest critique of your photographs then put your thickest skin on and try again. If you just want to hear "Yeah! That's great!" then this is not the right forum. It's your call.

And THIS is my last post on this thread.

Ahhhh...gotta love this time of year. :smileys:

If you were just goofing around then why post photos online for professionals and amateurs alike to critique? The more knowledgeable photographers on here don't really give a damn that you were goofing around. The photos aren't all that great.

And if you know the photos are ****ty then why are you trying to defend them? The props, facial expressions, and every visual aspect impact the viewers, therefor they are all open to be commented on.

I know that the whole goth/ comic-con/outcast thing is "in" right now, but that doesn't mean you were effective in capturing that whole scene effectively. So take the critique, suck it up, and be grateful that anyone cares enough to comment on your ****ty (your words not mine) photos.

*drops microphone* Peace.

No I just wasn't expecting a bunch of very rude and personal comments. Saying you don't like them or its zombie not goth or you hate my chair is not constructive, it's just stupid. Get off your high horse! If you were that great you would have something better to do w your time than look at my ****ty photos. Last comment from me here but I'm sure you will go on and on like a loser

One of the most difficult thing to do is to say what we really think without upsetting the other person. To me the comments were not rude, just an honest straightforward opinion given by someone who has different taste, and the experience you and I may be lacking. By posting a picture, it is a possibility that our taste is not shared. Try to be a good sport, you may attract more of the constructive criticism you are looking for.

OP (that means you, the original poster)

You said it yourself that this was your first post, right? Did you expect to be Ansel ice skating Adams on your first outing?

You have a choice, you can either USE what feedback you're getting to get BETTER, or you can take this feedback personally.

When I joined this site a few months ago, I posted some pretty horrendous stuff, and I was quickly informed of such. Had I taken ANY of that personally, I'd be a far worse photographer than I am now. I chose to see the criticism as information. And what is information (for those keeping notes at home) ? It's power. Power to be better.

So, re examin your work and consider some of the feedback, or act like a 10 year old and not get any better at all. It's up to you.

By the time I got here the OP had already taken down her photos, so I did not see them. And dropped out, so she will not read this post. It really is a shame, but we see this on a regular basis. It is hard to know everything about individuals posting here, but some are receptive and some are not.

Too bad.

Lucyjlou said:
I respect constructive ideas and comments but as far as saying you don't like the chair or the facial expressions, too bad. We are creative and have weird sense of humor and we were goofing around. I don't think I care if you like my outfit or my chair.... And yes we like zombies. My first and last post, thanks for the rude comments and not helpful observations. The last comment was the only polite and respectful one. Grow up and find something better to do than tearing down strangers in an online forum.. Pathetic

Buh bye!!!

Last thing we need here is another noob with a toxic attitude.

Also, Thanks for taking pics down so those of us just seeing this thread have no context except for your severe overreaction and what others have said.

I have special powers. I can see the future. In that future I assure you, you won't be missed :)

Lucyjlou said:
I respect constructive ideas and comments but as far as saying you don't like the chair or the facial expressions, too bad. We are creative and have weird sense of humor and we were goofing around. I don't think I care if you like my outfit or my chair.... And yes we like zombies. My first and last post, thanks for the rude comments and not helpful observations. The last comment was the only polite and respectful one. Grow up and find something better to do than tearing down strangers in an online forum.. Pathetic

Buh bye!!!

Also, Thanks for taking pics down so those of us just seeing this thread have no context except for your severe overreaction and what others have said.

I have special powers. I can see the future. In that future I assure you, you won't be missed :)
I swear, you sound like a Phillies fan :lmao: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
SCraig said:
OP, take a LOOK AT YOUR PHOTOS. Take a look at them yourself with your own eyes. Your white balance is all over the place, you have people with magenta skin tones (shots 2 & 6). You've got people with hot-spots on their faces from the harsh light (shots 1 & 4 and to a lesser extent #3). In shot 5 the skin is so white it looks like chalk. These are things that you can control, and you have been given some good advice here as to how to do that.

Leave if you will but keep this in mind: We aren't your friends and family, and the comments weren't rude they were true. There are a lot of very talented photographers on this board, many who are full-time professional photographers. We see shots every single day of the year from people of every conceivable level of ability. If we sugar-coat it and tell you those shots are great when they aren't then we would not be honest. Your shots have some level of promise in them but they need a lot of work. If you want honest critique of your photographs then put your thickest skin on and try again. If you just want to hear "Yeah! That's great!" then this is not the right forum. It's your call.

And THIS is my last post on this thread.

+1

CA_ said:
OP (that means you, the original poster)

You said it yourself that this was your first post, right? Did you expect to be Ansel ice skating Adams on your first outing?

You have a choice, you can either USE what feedback you're getting to get BETTER, or you can take this feedback personally.

When I joined this site a few months ago, I posted some pretty horrendous stuff, and I was quickly informed of such. Had I taken ANY of that personally, I'd be a far worse photographer than I am now. I chose to see the criticism as information. And what is information (for those keeping notes at home) ? It's power. Power to be better.

So, re examin your work and consider some of the feedback, or act like a 10 year old and not get any better at all. It's up to you.

+1 again

Rotanimod said:
Buh bye!!!

I need popcorn

THIS makes me sad. People forget what it is like to be new on here I think. I am not defending the OP's attitude but I will defend her leaving and for the reasons she did. Toxicity was mentioned on here and the Newb's so called practice of it. Then Rotanimod you and some of the others here might want to take a look at your own posts. It almost sounds like you and some of the others in this thread are actually proud for chasing someone away from the forum in general. THAT is what makes me sad!
A person comes on here and asks for some criticism and mentions that she is NEW. While honesty is important and true none of the first posts were over the top rude... (More or less so for people that have been here for a while) the commentary was harsh. Constructive in most ways but very harsh. Her "New"ness should have been kept in mind when commenting on her photography and handled more with kid gloves instead of Truthful and in some cases harsh criticism, even IF it was constructive.

Everyone has a different perspective on how they go about doing photo's and the like. We need to remember that not everyone follows the rules per se and while we might not have liked what she had posted (Don't know now because she is gone along with her photo's). We need to keep in mind that overly harsh and critical comments can be seen as something to quash her ideas and to make her feel like crap overall. While the comments to her in the beginning were not rude.. they became so later on. When, even when she came on ehre and complained instead of saying what WAS said on here in most cases (Some tried to keep her here) should have tried to make comments to garner her ideas.. find out what she was trying to accomplish with her pictures. Give her constructive but also useful commentary to bring that forth and shopw her that her pictures while not of our taste, could be better according to what she might be trying to accomplish instead of just assuming that they were just plain bad. But no one really did ASK these questions at all and just assumed.
People on here forget that there is art in photo's too I think. It is not just about the rules but people exploring the boundaries of those rules and breaking them in some ways to accomplish something more and even going further then we have before. I think that the OP was a person that would be like that. Now we shall never know, will we.. so please praise yourselves again for "Another one biting the dust" and +1 yourselves for the spiteful remarks about you "shall not be missed" comments ok. Another one gone is not something that this forum should be proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back