First post.. trying to decide, 35mm nikkor or 40mm micro nikkor

Reaction score
im an amateur, photographer wishing to go big, but that will NEVER happen, but i have come to the forum hoping to get some advice.
i have a Nikon D3100 + the kit lens, and a 55-200mm nikkor.

i mostly shoot cars, landscape, and wildlife
but i would like to start portraits, and boudoir. i had a sweet 16 and used my kit lens, and it went decent, but its time for a prime lens.
i was looking at the 35mm nikkor and the 40mm micro nikkor,
i know the 40mm is for macro, and i enjoy macro shots too, but i was wondering if the 40mm would be suffice enough for some portraits,
the same goes for the 35mm. my limit is no more than the price of the 40mm.

i guess my question is which of those lenses would be better for portraits over the kit lens?

thank you for any help

Justin

IMHO, 35 and 40 are too wide for portraiture.

thats what i was thinking too.. because i tried it on my kit lens, and the camera would be too close to the model... what do you think would be a good lens? doesnt have to be nikkor brand

thats what i was thinking too.. because i tried it on my kit lens, and the camera would be too close to the model... what do you think would be a good lens? doesnt have to be nikkor brand

Depends on what 'portraiture' means to you. To me, it means head/shoulders shots, maybe from waist up. That means I'd prefer something in the 80-120mm range.

Neither..The trouble is with anything under an actual 50mm, you stand a good chance of getting wide angle distortion on your subjects... which is not pretty. The closer they are, the more distortion you get.

You would be better off with a actual 50 as a minimum for shooting portraiture with your crop sensor. The Sigma 50mm 1.4 is a good choice to start with. on a crop sensor.. this give a crop like a 75mm lens basically.. which is close to the preferred FL for portraiture.

I shoot with my 35mm all the time, even portraiture :D Buuut it should be noted that its often children, who you often need to be closer to when shooting. Its awkward to shoot adults sometimes, because you have to be super close. Its lovely sharp though. Although portraiture to me is just people, not a specific crop or framing, so that apparently makes a difference too.

I shoot with my 35mm all the time, even portraiture :D Buuut it should be noted that its often children, who you often need to be closer to when shooting. Its awkward to shoot adults sometimes, because you have to be super close. Its lovely sharp though. Although portraiture to me is just people, not a specific crop or framing, so that apparently makes a difference too.

Try doing a tight head and shoulders shot with a 35mm.. and your subject will look like a fun house mirror! ;) Not flattering to the subject!

Neither..The trouble is with anything under an actual 50mm, you stand a good chance of getting wide angle distortion on your subjects... which is not pretty. The closer they are, the more distortion you get.

You would be better off with a actual 50 as a minimum for shooting portraiture with your crop sensor. The Sigma 50mm 1.4 is a good choice to start with. on a crop sensor.. this give a crop like a 75mm lens basically.. which is close to the preferred FL for portraiture.

so in other words i should save my money for something else?
i looked at the sigma 50mm, and it looks good, but right now thats out of my budget, id like to keep it around $300, i know its not a high amout, but thats all i have right now to waste on another lens..

If you don't mind manual focus, just get the nikon af 1.8. Thats what I have

so in other words i should save my money for something else?
i looked at the sigma 50mm, and it looks good, but right now thats out of my budget, id like to keep it around $300, i know its not a high amout, but thats all i have right now to waste on another lens..

You can find them used for less... or go with the Nikon 50mm 1.8.....

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah its the D lens, I mainly use manual focus anyway so I couldn't justify spending a couple hundred more for the af-s.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Try doing a tight head and shoulders shot with a 35mm.. and your subject will look like a fun house mirror! ;) Not flattering to the subject!

I have done this, alot. There isn't any distortion.

That one was out of stock when I was looking. I mean the difference between the 1.8d and the 1.4... 130$to 430$

Most reactions

Back