First posting of pictures-tell me the truth!

kmp1191

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first posting of photos...
A little background on these:
I've shot these two girls several times over the past 4 years. Sunday their moms called and needed some "Dance" pics ASAP.
They didn't want to go to the studio, and all I had to work with was black sheets.
I also don't know how to use PhotoShop. I use a program called Digital Image Suite. Be honest.

KeilyTaylor008-1.jpg

KeilyTaylor016-1.jpg

KeilyTaylor012bw-1.jpg

I hate the wrinkles in the sheets, but the moms didn't care. I wanted to darken the background, but the moms liked them lighter. :confused:

nice setups, just seems alittle outta focus to me.
Just a quik edit for example...a slight contrast adjustment and sharpen as well as a low opacity gradient...this was done with the photoshop elements 2.0. A very inexspensive program that is fairly easy to learn.

KeilyTaylor008-1edit.jpg

Ya, my first problem would be the focus. Then the flatness. Then the wrinkles.

Like the poses though. Cute.

The wrinkles are really tacky. It looks like they came straight out of the bag.

A spray bottle with water takes out wrinkles really well.

1 and 2 seem really soft. I really like #3.

I TOTALLY agree about the wrinkles! The mom's didn't care though, and I was really being rushed. They called and 5 minutes later they were here! Also, I had to set this up in my garage! :thumbdown:
It seems that just about everything I shoot comes out soft....out of focus. What am I doing wrong? I'm shooting w/ a Canon 40D, 17-85mm IS lens. ISO was 200-320, 1/40 to 1/50 at 4.5-5.6.
How do I get the sharp pictures every time?

Someone will be able to explain this better than me, but the rule-of-thumb with hand-held shutter speeds is the denominator of the shutter speed should be equal to or greater than your focal length. So I'm not sure, but maybe if most of these were shot at the 85 mm range, your shutter speed might have been too slow, capturing slight hand movement?

Edit - I just reread that your lens is an IS, so I would think that should compensate - can you turn the IS on/off, I've never used one of those lenses. If so, maybe it was turned off?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back